Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new to fords so I need mechanical help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 PM
pokertramp

Default new to fords so I need mechanical help

I recently got a 66 mustang coupe and I can do most of the work on it but when it comes to engie, transmission and rear end I am lost. So far I came up with a ford 302 5.0? If I get one and carb it that should be ok right? I am also not sure on what year is best to look for. If I get one from the 80's and then I need a transmission, would a C4 built up with a auto/manual valve body be OK? The transmission I was looking at was aPerformance Automatic Super Streeter Transmission PN#PMA-PA26101. This one was on Summit. I need an automatic cause I have a bad left leg but want the thrill of being able to control my shifts and if I ever decide to race. Lastly, will I be able to keep my stock rear end? Other things that I am not sure on is splines, the tranny above is a 26 spline, is that ok? I know I need to upgrade the front brakes and also I want power brakes which I am doing my research on. I am unsure if I can use the stock tranny mounts for my aplication and whatever else I would need. If anyone can direct me or give me any help, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance,Patrick.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:15 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Default RE: new to fords so I need mechanical help

The 5.0 will drop right in your car if it was an original V8 car. a 260-351W will work. If it still has 6 cylinder hardware then you've got a lot more to do before you can drop a V8 in there.
On the rearend it really depends on your power level. If you want something bulletproof you can't go wrong with the Ford 9".
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
pokertramp

Right now it has the I-6 so I plan on restoring it and be able to drive it this summer, then next fall I plan on threw the whole drivetrain and brakes. If anyone has a better combo that will fit directly for a motor transmission combo, that would be great too.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

To swap it over to a v8 isnt cheap you need a new rear end new spindles hubs brakes front springs shocks whole steering set up.Yeah the 302 fits fine youll need to make sure its a front sump oil pan not a rear.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
JamesW

Check out my website for some ideas
Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
pokertramp

Venry nice site you have there james. I think I have decided to just keep it a I-6 and maby dress it up a bit, header, get rid of the points, new or better carb set-up, flame throwers and good old flat black paint. Shave the trunk, door handles and locks. Get rid of the drip rails. Does this sound like a better idea? A cheaper option as I can do all the work myself. Would it be better to just buy a classic with a V-8 set-up already to go, I think so. I think the only thing I want to do is better brakes, keep the drums but add power brakes. Does this sound like a better option to you?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

I mean no offense by this, so please don't take it that way.

It really doesn't matter what we think about your car and the mods you plan on making to it.

What does matter is that YOU like the plans you have for your Stang.

If you don't like the things you wish to do to your car, there is no point in doing them. You will ALWAYS find someone who will disagree with you on what you think is cool on your car.

I have an I6 and since everything needs to be replaced anyway (i.e. shocks, full front suspension, ect.) I am going all out, slowly but surely, and doing a V8 swap.

As far as your plan to keep it stock, dress it up and all, I like the idea. The drip rail delete will prove to be a HUGE PITA if/when you go to do it, so best of luck there, but shaving everything, dressing it up otherwise and a flat black paint job sounds nice. It will make a nice cruiser.

If you want to have power, your best bet would be to find a V8 stang and buy that instead, unless you wish to rebuild what you already have, like I have chosen to do.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
pokertramp

No offense taken. Your right and people will always disagree. Thanks for the warning on the drip rail also. Everyone has different tastes, if they didn't all cars would be the same. Best of luck with your project.