Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65' hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:15 PM
uberGEEK

Default 65' hardtop

Ok....so I finally found a mustang that is in decent condition in my area that turns out to be a 65' hartop....ok...now it is a 6cyl. three speed.....what I was wondering was....how hard and what am I looking at to put a fuel injected 5.0 motor in it...and on a 2nd note...is $5000 a good price on a pretty much fully restored mustang of that year?....
Old 03-12-2005, 11:15 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 65' hardtop

hey man welcome to da forums. and ya i think that is a good price. i'm sure some1 else will chime in who knows more but it sounds ok to me. just make susre that there is NO RUST. the less body work to do the more you can spend on performance or show stuff or whatever u r into.

Good Luck Man!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 03:14 AM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

Id say $5000 is a pretty damn good deal if its nearly fully restored.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:23 AM
uberGEEK

ok soo...everyone is helping me about the price part but my main question is how hard will it be to put a fuel injected 5.0 motor into it...like I said it is a 6 cyl. now....
Old 03-13-2005, 08:09 AM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

It won't exactly be Hard per say to convert to a fuel injected 5.0.... just not that easy...
If you want it to be a real v8 car and handle and stop well, you're going to need to / want to replace the front 4 lug drums to a 5 lug disc, rear the same lug conversion. You'll probably need to replace the tranny (I'm not sure what you have) which you'll probably do if you have a donor car with the 5.0... Replace the radiator, and drivetrain. I would probably reccomend an aftermarket EFI system if you can afford it so you don't need to perform some hack job on the wiring harness.

My 64.5 I'm personally keeping carbed for simplicity sake, have an edelbrock intake and putting heads/cam/headers on it. I'll probably do the SSBC front power discs, Flaming River rack, T5 and... A/C when I'm through with it...

Old 03-13-2005, 12:53 PM
uberGEEK

Thanks man....I have another question of something that you said do you think that I should use a factory ecu or should I get a totally independent aftermarket ecu and wiring harness....because I was planning on using a 89-93 5.0 with a tremec 5 speed behind it.....
Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: uberGEEK

Thanks man....I have another question of something that you said do you think that I should use a factory ecu or should I get a totally independent aftermarket ecu and wiring harness....because I was planning on using a 89-93 5.0 with a tremec 5 speed behind it.....
You have to replace basically the entire front end to support the heavier engine and components. I would suggest you look into replacing the front end with a Mustang II front end. Your engine bay will be very crowded with the 5.0 mainly because of the placement of the shock towers. And, as has been mentioned, you will need to upgrade the entire brake system to disk brakes. So, you are looking at about a 10 grand job. I paid 5 grand for my rust free 65 way back in '91, so you will be getting a bargain if it is a completely rust free car. As far as the ECU and wiring harness, I would use the factory one. You will find that you will be well over your head in money out if you start replacing everything with aftermarket parts.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:31 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

Ok. First off, 5K for a nearly restored coupe is a good price.
Second, If you want a V-8 car, why don't you get a V-8 car. For 5K you can find one that is in good shape.
Now, before I sound like an idiot or jerk, the reason I say this is to convert the I-6 to V-8 EFI, you'll need to change the whole front suspension,brakes,rear diff,motor/frame mounts,associated wiring and also get the EFI setup and associated parts for that. After you acquire all the parts you need, the end result will be mucho $$$$$$. Also, if the person who you bought it from went through all the trouble of doing(or having it done) a resto on it, it would be a shame to take the car apart for the conversion.[sm=badidea.gif]
Try www.fordsix.com Those guys have tons of mods for a 6 to make it run just as good/fast as an 8.

Now all that said, If you do decide to do the conversion anyway, I'll be more than happy to take some of the 6 cyl. stuff off your hands.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:23 AM
uberGEEK

well he was planning on doing a v-8 conversion in it himself.....him and his son but his son decided that he didn't like the car...soo..you know....but...didn't think it would be too much money because if you bought a donor 5.0 wrecked or something for $500...which I know I can get because we have a local wrecking yard that deals only with mustangs....could I basically have everything I need besides the front suspension...see this is why I was asking......
Old 03-14-2005, 04:06 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

If your young, loaded $$$$, and have lots of time on your hands than go for it.

If not, run away, or enjoy the I6.

[sm=forgetit.gif]

Quick Reply: 65' hardtop