Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

exhaust leak somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default exhaust leak somewhere

ok i've got to replace several gaskets on my stang before the motor is 100% fixed, but it still runs, i put new exhaust gaskets on my stang, and it still sounds like it has a metal tick, and i know its not a lifter cuz it was rebuilt not even 300miles ago. any other idea on what it could be.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust leak somewhere

Valve lash?? You may need to adjust your valves..
Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i didnt think about that! im a dumbass of course i never did it on the rebuild either, what does it need to be torqued down too?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I read that you whirl the rod between your finger tips and tighten down the rocker just until it stops moving easily and then a quarter turn more.. But you have to do it on a certain stroke for each valve.. Just do a search, or look it up in the FAQ I know I have read it many-a-many times,, but dont remember exactly how..

Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Here you go
Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

thanks a lot, ill have to get one of my buddies to help me with this.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

was that metal tick sound constant, or did it kinda happen somtimes and not others? ive been noticing somthing that sounds similar on my 302.. exaust crossed my mind
Old 12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

Exhaust leaks are most commonly louder under acceleration. I've also had 'em when the engine is cold, but then quiet down as the engine warms up. I've used all the different types of gaskets and haven't found one that honestly leaked less. Right now, on my fastback, because of the Dart heads, I had to grind the headers to match better...which meant cutting out the gaskets, too. My vert just has perpetually loosening header bolts and I have to tighten them every now and then which I don't mind at all because it gives me an excuse to check everything else out.

At the moment, I believe I'm running paper gaskets on the fastback and copper on the vert. The collector gaskets haven't given me too much trouble lately, but once upon a time when I still had manifolds, I had a problem with one of the doughnuts not seating very well. It was just a matter of feel to get it in the right spot and tightened down not to leak...and then a flange broke, making the problem worse before I made it better.

I also once upon a time had an exhaust leak caused by my headers scraping over one too many speed bumps, flattening and eventually causing holes, but that's a much different sound...as was a muffler rusting in half. Those leaks are pretty obvious by audio as well as visual inspection!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

There are two types of rockers for SBF, adjustable and non-adjustable. Most (all?) aftermarket rockers will be adjustable. All SBFs 289 / 302 / 5.0 produced in May of 66 and after used non-adjustable rockers except for the 289 HIPPO which that used mechanical lifters.

If your rockers have "rails" that fit over the end of the valve stem they are supposed to be the non-adjustable style, and therefore they should be torqued to a value that I can't put my hands on at the moment.

If you are running adjustable rockers the procedures mentioned above should be followed.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:39 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if the gaskets for the exhaust headers are leaking you get the exact same sound as valve lash.
Commonly mistaken. had the same prob here. happened while driving some day, thought I fried my valves and happily realised that one of the tightening nuts on the gasket fell off causing it to leak. replaced bolt and gasket-> ticking sound gone

Kalli

Quick Reply: exhaust leak somewhere