Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

power steering leak/rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default power steering leak/rebuild help

im looking to rebuild my power steering components. but not sure where to start, here are some symptoms,

1, the steering wheel turns about 3 to 5 inches before the wheels actually move.
2, the steering wheel sometimes can wobble just a little, as if its not tight enough.
3, there is a leak, bc the control valve and clinder hoses are covered in liquid.
4, the boot is ripped apart on the cylinder

i cant track where the leak is comming from. any suggestions on how i can diagnose it, or what i should replace. and also how to do it. i heard the liquid is under pressuer so when removing any of the tubes you have to be carefull bc it will squirt. is this true?

ive read and searched through some old posts but couldnt find the exact answers i needed.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 AM
F14chuck
1st Gear Member

Default RE: power steering leak/rebuild help

I've never done that work myself, always took it in for suspension/ steering repair. But:

The fluid should only be under psi with the PS pump running. My 69's shop manual makes no mention of pressure, just disconnect and let drain. Had a hose blow on me once while driving and it emptied pretty quick under pressure.

BTW, mine seeped for years before I had it replaced. Jack up the front end and have someone turn the wheel. You'll prolly find that you need to tighten or adjust the steering box to fix the wobble unless the rest of the suspension is loose.

Sorry its notmore specifichelp.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:45 PM
davecole

I also had a power steering leak somewhere on my 66. Since all my components looked like they had never been rebuilt, I decided to rebuild all the components rather than try to find the leak. I bought kits for the power cylinder and the control valve and rebuilt them myself. They aren't too hard to do. I also bought new power steering hoses. Replacing them was kind of hard because they weren't bent exactly like the originals, but I got them on eventually. I sent the power steering pump off to be rebuilt. I am still waiting on it to come back. I didn't have any play in my steering, so I haven't done anything with the steering box. Yours sounds like it needs adjusted at least. I have rebuilt a steering box on my 62 Ford Galaxie and it wasn't too hard. Basically I took it apart and cleaned up the parts and replaced anything that looked worn and anything that I could get inexpensively even if it didn't need replacing. All the bearings were good, so I think I only ended up replacing the seals and gaskets. I filled it back up with grease and then I followed the instructions in my shop manual to put it back together and make all the adjustments. It has no play now. I don't know if the parts on your car are the same as a 66 Mustang or a 62 Galaxie though.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Ste7of1
1st Gear Member

I had a leak that dripped a little on the floor but I couldn't find it until had my wife turn the wheels while I watched and moved hoses a bit. Suddenly a hole popped in the side of the high pressure line coming out of the pump. Replaced the hose and it's been fine since. Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ok sounds good then, ill do just that. now any recommendations on what to clean it with? any type of degreaser or cleaner to use.