Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rough idle on 66 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rough idle on 66 coupe

Welcome aboard, there's a great bunch of folks on this forum. It would really help you to purchase a shop manual for the car, they run from 20 to 60 bucks depending on if you want a cd or paper.

BTW, the engine should idle at 600 to 650 rpm in gear ( R or D) & (higher in park). You may want to check for engine mounts that are not broken for your rough idle problem, if the speed is not the cause. (quickest way i know to check 'em is to put the car in forward gear and step on the gas with the brake pedal depressed and parking brrake on (if the engine tries to jump out ofthe engine bay, the mount's broke and should be replaced) put it in reverese gear to check the other side same procedure. good luck)!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:27 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

Me? The 'no heat' and the rough idle in drive=bad/open thermostat. The chole is opening - but the engine is not up to temps yet.

Before working the idle issue (all good advice above) - fix the thermostat & see if that fixes the idle as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 AM
BreakOut

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday evening a friend came over and we snooped around the engine a little. I looked back on some old posts and discovered that at least one person with a similar rough idle issue as mine found a fix in replacing the pcv valve and hose. We think we located the pcv but we aren't sure. Is it beneath the air filter? If so mine basically is just sitting there like a loose plug. Should it have more snug fit?
Also, the thermostat may be right. The car actually got a little warm last night (still had cold feet though). We did the redneck trick of putting a half a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and took it for a spin. The temp actually warmed up a little but if the gauge is correct the car is still running cold. I also discovered that the (for lack of a better term) heater 'ductwork' behind the dash is torn so even if there is heat it isn't being directed anywhere-- just behind the dash in general.
My more mechanically inclined friend may be able to look at the car on Friday or Saturday and I hope he can set the timing to spec. I may go ahead and throw in a new thermostat while we are at it since they are so cheap. I suspect Autozone and/or Advanced Auto may have a suitable one? Anyway, keep the comments coming as I really enjoy the knowledgable perspectives from everyone.
Also, another friend came over to give his two cents on the problem.After hearing the symptoms, he too thought the motor mounts might be broken.He did as suggested--
had me put the car in drive and rev with the brake on. Then had me put the car in reverse and rev with the brake on. He said the motor mounts seem good.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

My heater core was busted when I bought my car. They hoses were tucked nicely near the water pump so I didn't notice they were cut.

I have a new heater core if you want it. $5 plus shipping. I bought one and when I moved it was lost in a box until recently. I bought another an installed that one.

Also, check the little door under your glove box. There can build a bunch of crap in there. Mice lived in mine for a time.

If you do replace the heater core, buy both hoses. I only bought 1 which was not the smartest idea.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

The PCV is on the valve cover near the firewall - it will have one rubber hose coming from it going to the carburetor. I think to replace it it's $1.40 from O'reilly's. Make sure that it sits in there pretty snug.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 AM
BreakOut

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether that small thing(pcv valve) could be the source of the rough idle? It sure is loose.All the hoses, etc. on the engine are new so I wouldn't suspect the pcv hose needs replacing.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 AM
BreakOut

Oh, and Dano-- thanks for that great deal. I may take you up on that. Let me try the thermostat first and go from there.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:15 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BreakOut

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether that small thing(pcv valve) could be the source of the rough idle? It sure is loose.All the hoses, etc. on the engine are new so I wouldn't suspect the pcv hose needs replacing.
I would check the grommet and/or the PCV. Just replace them to be sure. It'll set you back a couple of dollars and the question is eliminated.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM
JamesW

ORIGINAL: mySAVIOReigns

I would check the (______________________). Just replace them to be sure. It'll set you back a couple of dollars and the question is eliminated.

And with that statement...welcome to the world of classic Mustangs....
Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

- yea, and I've already filled that blank with just about everything you can fill it with! hahaha, good point James

Quick Reply: Rough idle on 66 coupe