Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Why doesn't my engine start?---I need a car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Why doesn't my engine start?---I need a car.

So my 'daily driver' died this morning (and you thought volvos were reliable) so I would love to drive my stang while it gets fixed or if it wont start again. Here is the problem: my mustang will start but it takes around 5 min. to do it. I have no idea whats wrong, but I would love to drive it for a while, at least till I have the engine rebuilt. I filmed me starting it and put it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2vmu5zASUU

Please watch it and let me know if you have any ideas. My choke is broken (the cable that attaches to the butterfly isnt even there) and I have been told that might be it, but it seems to do this even in warm weather. In the video the carb does something and sprays a puff of gas into the hood, anyone know what that was? Let me know if you know how to fix all this, it shouldnt be hard cuz it used to start really easy.

These photos might help: the timing(hard to see), and two pics of what the exhaust spit out(blackish chunky things and lots of moisture)

Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why doesn't my engine start?---I need a car.

right after i got my car and had been driving it around for a while after it had not had much use, it started blowing crap and mosture out of the exaughst as well. (my car started right up however) i had my carb rebuilt and timed the car up nice, and no more chunks. so perhaps carb/timming?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you're getting backfires, something's wrong with the ignition/timing. I'd start by rotating the distributor until it fires easier, then timing it with a light.

If your choke is non-functional, youneed to make sure the choke plate is held open. I'm sure you can rig something up with a twist-tie or bailing wire. You still should have a functional choke though. Your idea of 'warm' and the engines are completely different. 90F is still cold for an engine designed to run at 210F.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Might just be that the points need to be set.... there are so few points distributors out there now that most folks don't think about them much....

If te points are not opening enough, the car would do exactly what it is doing now.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:19 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

I replaced the points about a year ago, but maybe I did it wrong... How would I set them correctly?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like (and seems obvious to me in the video):

1. An old tired worn out starter that should be replaced with a newer faster one, maybe even a high torque mini
2. A choke that isn't closed/hooked up/working
Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

I replaced the points about a year ago, but maybe I did it wrong... How would I set them correctly?
By getting a Dizzy II setup.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

By getting a Dizzy II setup.

What is that? I googled it and couldn't find anything car related.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

Sounds like (and seems obvious to me in the video):

1. An old tired worn out starter that should be replaced with a newer faster one, maybe even a high torque mini
2. A choke that isn't closed/hooked up/working
1.A starter would'nt hurt, or a new battery?There is definitely something up with the carb too.
2. It needs to crank over better than it does in order for you to figure out what's up? What up with the motor? Need some details & history?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:14 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well here is what's up: The battery didn't help with the bad starting. It was sitting for about at month, and I just had a small emergency jump start unit hooked up to it, and both only had about half a charge. I didn't have problems with the starter before, so I don't think its that either. My best guess is that it has something to do with the carb, cuz thats what most people say, but nobody ever knows what is wrong specifically. The carb is the stock one, and when I bought the car it was okay (you couldn't smash the gas and then let off immediately or the engine would die), and the choke has always been broken. The butterfly thing isn't even attached to the choke mechanism on the side. It used to run pretty well, but then it sat for a really long time (oil sprayed everywhere for no reason one day, so i parked it and left it for a while, and then did the interior, which took a long time). So ya, hope that helps. Do you guys think rebuilding the carb would do it? If so how hard is it to rebuild a carb?

Quick Reply: Why doesn't my engine start?---I need a car.