Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bill of Sale - New Jersey.. Out of luck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Bill of Sale - New Jersey.. Out of luck!

Figured I'd post this here as a warning to others.... Do NOT buy a vehicle in the State of New Jersey on a Bill of Sale!

In NJ a Bill of Sale is 100% worthless! Furthermore the seller can legally take the vehicle back at anytime because the Bill of Sale is NOT recognized as a legal transaction when dealing with cars in this wonderful state. If it was a cash deal and you dont have proof of what you paid for the car your out of luck. In addition the out of state title companies like Broadway Title Company can not title cars for the State of New Jersey! I called BroadwayTitle, left my name and phone number and waiting for a call back. While looking at their site I noticed the following statement:

[blockquote]Due to changes in their title laws, we are unable to due titles in the following states. Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Washington under ANY circumstances. Please note, Laws change on a constant basis. So please check with us on any of the states listed. Please call for additional information.
[/blockquote]
If your looking at a car in NJ and its only coming with a Bill of Sale either look for another car or ask the seller to apply for a Duplicate Title at the cost of $25.00.

Also note that if the seller has lost the Title and never transfered it to himself from the prior owner then your really screwed as he legally does not own the car.. and hence cant legally sell it.

I've been on the phone with the NJ DMV all day today, into the local branch talking to a supervisor and have even called a local attorneys office (who deal in MV Law). The reason? I was looking at and even left a deposit on a coupe that was only being sold with a Bill of Sale. Was going to go pick it up tonight however I'll be having a chat with the seller instead now. Hopefully he'll be willing to try and get the car titled though this may require him to go back to the guy he bought it from a few years ago.

Again.. just a warning to others out there in New Jersey land looking to buy (or even to sell) a car without a title.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bill of Sale - New Jersey.. Out of luck!

damn, that sux! thanks though, ill remember that
Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Hopefully it works out for you. If not, at least you have not paid for the car in full yet.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

It should workout well for me as the seller did at least have the title transferred into his name after he bought it. Just means a trip with him to the DMV and more than likely to the main Trenton office 2 hours away. I should hopefully have the title in my hand by next week which will be nice. This could have been a nightmare if I'd paid in full, taken the car and he wanted to not help. Thankfully the seller is being friendly and we have times/dates set to head out to the DMV and/or Trenton to get this resolved.

Still.. I wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone else out there looking to buy or sell. Make sure your state will take a Bill of Sale!