Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Default Wiring harness

Who has used the EZ harness or the Painless harness? There is a huge price differance and i want to know what advantage one has over the other.Iam more than willing to get the best product to do the job right the first time.My OEM harnes is spliced, diced and loaded with corrosion so replacement is in the future.

Thanks

Mortman
Old 01-04-2008, 06:40 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wiring harness

Any one use this one? http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/fords/k40f.shtml
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I'm likely ordering this wiring harness (part number XP-727) from Ron Francis Wiring in the next few days. It comes with his Express Wiring Panelwhich I like a lot. Any questions you have about his products i've found his replys to be quick and informative.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Looks like a great harness, I like the use of cross linked polyethylene coating on the wireas it is very hard to burn and is used in quality systems (Not jap crap vinal). The addition of the Ford compatable plugs will speed the install. Its good it has the additioonal circuits to handle any future additions. The Painless system is over priced (my opinion).
Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Haven't done it yet, but I plan on using the EZ wire harness. I have compared what I could between it and the Painless harness, and I just can't justify spending that much more for the Painless harness. I looked at the EZ wire instructions and itwill do everything I need it to so I will be using the EZ wire, but like I said I haven't done it yet.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adrenolin

I'm likely ordering this wiring harness (part number XP-727) from Ron Francis Wiring in the next few days. It comes with his Express Wiring Panelwhich I like a lot. Any questions you have about his products i've found his replys to be quick and informative.
Looked in to the Ron Francis harness and many others - for the price and flexability you cant beet it (on order . Thanks all for the advice
Old 01-05-2008, 01:28 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

which harness looks better? the centech or ron francis?

just looking at these two and painless, from the pics, the painless seems more similar to the stock harness, so it might be easier to route the wires and know where everything goes compared to the centech or ron francis ones.
but does that justify double the price? i think a person with a little bit of electrical know how, the cheaper kit will be just fine. i am also interested to rewire my whole car buthave other repairs to do first and would like to see someone else try these wire kits first.

as a side note, previous owner put in a painless engine harness to my car, and i got to say, the wire harness is top notch. so maybe its worth the money.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adrenolin

I have installed 3 Ron Francis kits and none of the others mentioned so Iam notreally qualified to answer the question as presented.

I can say that the Ron Francis kit is a great top notch product. The panel is attractive and compact, the wiring is easy. It will look as good as the time you take to make it look good.

The only "issues"I had were that the fuel guage sender wire was short for my routing of the back of the car, and you will need to salvage or re-make the wires from the wiper switch to the wipers,the wires from the fan switch to the heater, and the wires from the heater to the fan.

For me this was not a really problem, I unwrapped the old harness to the the wiper and heater wires out, and ran two new wires to the heater fan.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

well thats good news about the ron francis kit. anyone else?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:02 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djsprinklesnjo

which harness looks better? the centech or ron francis?
They both look good by the readings i have done. Ron Francis seems to respond positivily to email regarding there products. Centech basicaly told me "no truck? go away". There harness is designed for Ford trucks and did not want to deal with the Mustang.

Quick Reply: Wiring harness