Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Elctric ignition and point eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Elctric ignition and point eliminator

what the heck is it? how does it work and why do it? Some one said my car needs new points and i want to eliminate them with this kit is it thumbs up or no? would i have to change anything?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Elctric ignition and point eliminator

what kit? don't see one!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

I don't know I used the Pertronix IgnitorI put itin 3 year ago and it works great!!http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy0...atkey=EMUSTANG I don't know if you'rs is dual points or not you can check it out for you'r self good luck
Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not on a non-K code car.

I've heard good things about that Crane unit, and the adjustable rev limiter would sell me on it. A lot of people run Pertronix, and I ran one for a couple years and had no issues, but they do sometimes have reliability issues. I've talked to several people who've had them crap out, and my original unit crapped out as well. It's not common, but it does happen, usually years down the road.

Personally, I say go for it. They're a lot more reliable than points and a lot less of a pain in the ***.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

Go for it!! Eliminating points will give you more reliability,better spark and a lot less headaches!![sm=goodidea.gif][sm=gears.gif]
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I put in a Pertronix and it ran FANTASTIC. Then last night, after fighting trying to get this thing to start on it's brand new engine, I realized it was dead. I put in a spare one I had (And people make fun of me for having lots of spares...) and it ran great. We'll see how long this one lasts, but I'm getting a replacement from Pertronix till I get my Duraspark all ready to put in.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

I have a totally different opinion. At that price you are getting the advantage of no points but nothing more. for about twice that money get an MSD 6a box. I know what you are thinking what does an MSD box have to do with eliminating points, well it doesn't eliminate them but it does eliminate the high voltage going across them, so they are ONLY a trigger. Then you get the added benefit of a hotter spark and a multiple spark. My galaxie has a duraspark, and my Mustang has points both are suplimented with an MSD box. Both cars perform the same. The MSD eliminates the high voltage going across the points and simply uses them as a trigger so basically the points will not where out like normal. As far as power increases, it is like this. When I first built my Mustang I put a switch on my carb that triggered a light every time my secondaries came open. When I would shift down and hit the gas to pass the lights would come on. After I installed the MSD box I was able to get the same performance as before with out the secondaries coming open, and when the secondaries did come open I gout a whole new boost of power. I had a friend who had a 69 Dodge cornet that went through points every 6 months like clock work and no matter what you did it would not run smooth at idle. Once when it was time to change the points again instead of changing them we installed an MSD 6a and as soon as we did the car quit burning through points picked up 3 MPG no linger needed the points changed and the idle smoothed out he ran it that way for several years on the same old points. I run MSD boxes on everything I own including my 83 Ford F150. If I were you simply install an MSD box. You will be glad you did.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 AM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

This MSD 6a eliminates the coil. Is that right! I bought the pertronix for my fb, but the points in my coupe closed up the other day, after 5000 miles. I threw the pertronix in, works great but I like the sound of the MSD box.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlp66stang

This MSD 6a eliminates the coil. Is that right! I bought the pertronix for my fb, but the points in my coupe closed up the other day, after 5000 miles. I threw the pertronix in, works great but I like the sound of the MSD box.
Nope still need the coil. You can use a stock coil or a performance coil but if you use a performance coil you really need performance wires. Also an MSD box will enhance any set up so even a pertronix distributor will be improved by an MSD box. I have installed dozens of them on the various cars I have owned as well as for my friends and relatives, and every time regardless of the configuration each vehicle’s performance would significantly improve after the install.

Quick Reply: Elctric ignition and point eliminator