Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

weird plate on the dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: weird plate on the dash

i just looked at nmy brothers 69 cougar and the dash is removed also the vin is stamped on that plate maybe the c9zb is just the part number for the vin plate and someone snipped the top off where the vin was stamped?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

In 1969 the only vin you can use to register is the one on the dash plate.
If you don't have a dash plate with a VIN if you ever happen to be pulled over for a ticket you might have a problem and if you ever try to register the car normally as in not a classic limited use car but a regular old car that needs regular old plates and regular old inspection...during the inspection process you might have a problem
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
3eleven

I think your right, after further looking, the top edge looks like it was bent back and forth and snapped off. So I am guess this is the bottom half of the z bend for the data plate. The edge clearly looks like a metal flex break. Thanks for your input on this!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
3eleven

dodgestang: I guess there is not a whole lot I can do about it anymore. They don't make reproductions and North Carolina DMV doesn't even require inspections of any kind on cars older than 35 years. I guess I could ask DMV about it but I am not really sure how much help they will be. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

If your 69 is legally titled and registred to you, why don't you get a replacement vin plate from Marti Auto Works? You just need to provide proof of ownership (copy of title and registration). Also, depending on where your Mustang was built, Marti has many original factory invoices obtained from Ford years ago. I recently got one for my 69 Mach 1 (Dearborn built) that I used to confirm that it's 100% original. If you really want to know more about your mystery plate, I would suggest the following: Not meaning to be a traitor to this forum (I use many myself), but the following Mustang forum has a lot of knowledgable folks who might be able to help you out. If you decide to register with this forum, go to either the classic talk or classic tech forum and ask "Veronica" for help. She's one of the most knowledgable Mustang people I have met on the web! Hope this helps and good luck!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustang/

Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
3eleven

Marti said ford does not allow reproduction dash plates anymore due to people fraudulently building special cars and putting fake dash plates. He said no one is allowed to produce these anymore. So I guess I am out of luck for that
Old 01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: 3eleven

I think your right, after further looking, the top edge looks like it was bent back and forth and snapped off. So I am guess this is the bottom half of the z bend for the data plate. The edge clearly looks like a metal flex break. Thanks for your input on this!
id just get a stamp set and make yourself a new vin plate
Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
3eleven

After noticing that it looked like the vin plate broke in half, I snooped around further and found the missing half of the plate with the number on it, stuck to the window, wedged at the bottom of the seal on the passenger side. My question now is, since I have the original vin plate, but broken... can I get Ford to make another one or is that still a no no.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

can I get Ford to make another one or is that still a no no.
I guess you'll have to dig Henry up and ask him.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 AM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

First thing I'd do is call Marti back and see if they will "repair"your broken vin plate, since they can't replace it. It's worth a shot. Good luck!

Quick Reply: weird plate on the dash