Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

couple questions, trans, steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

Default couple questions, trans, steering?

how much trans fluid will my c6 hold, where can ig et the little cover for the flywheel i think? and what is this for? http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1461/002nb6.jpg
Old 01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: couple questions, trans, steering?

That black thing in the middle of the pic with the hoses coming out of it is the power steering control valve. The thing just to the right of the ontrol valve is the poweer steering ram. BTW...that ram needs a new boot.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

ha thats funny the guy i bought the car from told me the car didnt have power steering, what do i need to do to hook up the power steering, and ya i now it needs anew boot im just tto lazy to lazy to put it on, im not driving the car right now but ill do it before it hits the streets in a month i hope.....
Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Look under the hood on the left hand side of the engine. You should see a small round thing with a pulley on the lower left hand side of the engine. The pulley should have a v-belt to the crankshft pulley. This would be the power steering pump and resevoir. If it's there, then you have everything you need. Make sure it has fluid in it and start up the engine. The steering wheel should be real easy to turn. Check for leaks. If you dont have the pump/resevoir, you can pick one up from Autozone for a nominal amount of cash.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

The powersteering in not designed to operate without fluid going to it. The valve directs fluid one way or the other. You are going to ruin the control valve[if not already] and or have a hell of a wreck! If it doesn't have a ps pump, you need to get one. I wouldn't drive it until you get that fixed. The piece your pitman arm is connected to could come out of the control valve and then you will just be a passenger along for the ride![sm=badidea.gif]
Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

thats why i didnt know what it was i dont have them pump, and was told it didnt have power steering, i tihnk im just going to leave it how it is but change the boot, my engine bay already is kinda tight with the 390 in it, and i plan on putting on a super charger
Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlp66stang

The powersteering in not designed to operate without fluid going to it. The valve directs fluid one way or the other. You are going to ruin the control valve[if not already] and or have a hell of a wreck! If it doesn't have a ps pump, you need to get one. I wouldn't drive it until you get that fixed. The piece your pitman arm is connected to could come out of the control valve and then you will just be a passenger along for the ride![sm=badidea.gif]
that doesnt sound good, what do i need to do to change it to non power steering links of the things i ned to buy would be good thx.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

or would it be easier and cheaper to hook up the p/s?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

First, don't get rid of the ps control valve, they are expensive. Pretty much have to get from tie rod end to tie rod end. The drag link will not work for manual steering. The steering box and pitman arm are the same. That would be the cheapest route, you would want to replace most of that stuff anyway.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 PM
390bigblock1
2nd Gear Member

but would it be easier to just to get a new pump then replacing everything? because if it is im just going to do that. where can i get the mounting stuff for a 390?

Quick Reply: couple questions, trans, steering?