Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

this deal too good to be true?*pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Default RE: this deal too good to be true?

the shop that is going to narrow the housing will also do the axles

oh and i have to change the yoke too, but also not a big thing
Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

I hate to be the barer of bad news but that is NOT a Ford 9". That is a 9 & 3/8 You can tell on the housing because of the extra material cut out of the gasket face for extra ring gear clearance, and you can tell on the differential because of where the rounded webbing connects the horizontal to the vertical on the right hand side. There are NO parts available for that rearend no bearings, no shims, no clutches, nothing. Ford used it from 69-72 and discontinued it because there was no point in it sense the 9" was bulletproof already. You can however, still use the housing and find another differential. It was a housing just like that that I narrowed up using 65 tubes and axles. Sorry!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

but why wont the thrid member work? wont it fit if i just change the yoke?

ill figure something out, worst comes to worst i can pick up another third member but i dont think ill have too
Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Assuming you can find a yoke that will fit (everything about that rear end was bigger than the 9" so I would guess you will have trouble finding a yoke) than yes you can run it, but if there is anything wrong with the differential there is nothing you can do to fix it. More than anything I am just trying to let you know what you have. If it were me I would steer clear, because I would hate to invest a bunch of money in to something that can not be rebuilt. I would go back to the guy you got it from and ask for your money back sense it was misrepresented. At least that what I would do.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

i think im gona try to get it in and use it like that for a while. and if it happens to mess up sometime down the road ill just pcik up a new third member
Old 01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

Day, can't say you didn't try![&:]
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Also for the axle shortening...If you run your hand down the shaft, you will need to find out if the splines are wider than the axle itself. If they are, you can just cut and respline them. It will have to be rolled into splines like Ford did to get it that way.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

yeah they are going to be cut to proper lenth and respilned. there is an engineering shop by my house thats really good with that stuff, ive had them do some work for me a few times and theydo a good job for not alot of money. i dont think this whole setup will be that much of a problem, im going to have to do a bit more work on the housing then i hoped but after im done ill still be under 1,000. which is great for a 31 spilne posi rear

i guess now when people ask if i have a 9in ill say "no, its a 9 and 3/8"
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

another option:

take the 8" out of your car, cut the tubes off and have them welded on to the center section you just bought like I did with the 9 & 3/8 unit I had $100.00- $150.00

buy a used 9" open differential for around $100-$200
Get a NEW 28 spline trac-lock carrier from complete off road $300
Have it installed $50
use your original axles Free

Total assuming the high end and the $300 you already spent and you are up to $950 and have a solid rear end that parts can be found for. As far as the 28 spline vs the 31 spline, as long as you are not running more than 400 HP and slicks you will be fine with 28 spline

On top of that you may be able to get $100 out of that 9 & 3/8 center section.

Just a thought. I hate to see you invest all kinds of money in to a lemon. Kind of reminds me of something I heard once Please take it for what it is, an extreme analogy: "you can take a tird fire it in a kiln to make it hard and then polish it, but all your going to end up with is a hard polished tird"

Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daze

Kind of reminds me of something I heard once Please take it for what it is, an extreme analogy: "you can take a tird fire it in a kiln to make it hard and then polish it, but all your going to end up with is a hard polished tird"

haha nice analogy

Quick Reply: this deal too good to be true?*pics