Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Multi-Port F.I. or good ole' carb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Default Multi-Port F.I. or good ole' carb?

I just recently got a 72 mustang without an engine but i do have one to drop in it; It's an 87' 302 bored .040. I was wondering if i should stick with a carb or upgrade to M.P.F.I. She's not going to be racer, just a cruiser. Some input would be cool. Also, if i went with mpfi what all would be involved? I have knowledge of engines but not so much of the fuel injection part. Should I attempt it on my own?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:17 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Multi-Port F.I. or good ole' carb?

id like to go efi But carb and efi are about equal if your starting from scratch from the price point. considering you buy used efi stuff and new carb theres some good info on the efi process here http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/
Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

thanks a lot. that site actually answers a few more questions that i had floating around in my head. Thanks again. Any more info feel free to post.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

At the risk of starting a very large fire, one of my friends with a 69 once said, 'A carb is nothing more than a controlled fuel leak'. You will get better mileage, better performance, and more attention at cruise-ins with EFI. The best way to do it is to buy a complete 5.0 engine, or get all the electronics with the intake stuff. Your biggest challenge may be the fuel system - electric pump at the tank, return line, regulator, etc.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Carbs are controlled fuel leaks as well as controlled vacuum leaks. But EFI is a controlled fuel leak as well, it's just controlled by a computer instead of air pressure. Properly setup carbs will in most cases out perform EFI in terms of power, and sometimes even throttle response. EFI almost always gets better mileage, and also gets FAR better emissions(if you even care about that). EFI is more "trouble free' for those that don't know how to tune a carb, let the computer do the tuning for you. But carbs are far cheaper, much less complicated(and therefore more reliable) and have much less clutter in the engine compartment. If you want to go EFI and have the money, knock yourself out, but also keep in mind that nearly all aftermarket EFI setups require some amount of initial tuning(some require a great deal more tuning that even a multiple carb setup would, loading base fuel maps, driving the car, modifying fuel maps etc). I'm a fan of carbs for their low cost, rugged simplicity and excellent performance(when tuned properly), however, if you can get the EFI stuff for relatively low cost such that it's the same cost as, or only a bit more expensive than a carb, and would like EFI, go for it.

You can also get good looks with a carb as well, if you get anodized metering blocks, float bowls etc. When you pop the hood and have a black, grape and orange colored carb that looks clean as hell, with the red and blue anodized fuel fittings and stainless braided lines, people stare.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'd love an EFI setup, but $ is an issue. If you use a fox body EFI setup, make sure to get a mass-air setup instead of one of the older speed-density units. IIRC, CA 87's got mass-air,federal cars got it in 88. You'll still need to figure out wiring, specifically how to set up the wiring harness so it doesn't throw codes. Mustangs Plus sells a harness specifically wired up for the conversion, but it's very expensive.

Personally, I'm probably going to go aftermarket when I get there. Edelbrock makes a very nice kit that even comes with its own calibration tool. It's still speed density, but Edelbrock burns you a chip based on your engine and cam specs before they sell it to you. There are also a couple companies that put together mass-air systems out of mostly off-the-shelf parts for a reasonable price.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I would say go with what you know. If you don't know EFI stay with the carb. IMO you can get just as good of performance out of a carb. The EFI takes some investment in time and money to make it happen.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Speed density is actually a very good system. Most of the ***** to the wall aftermarket kits are SD rather than MAF. Factory SD sucks though.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys. I was gonna start off using a carb and then maybe save up for EFI but i may just put a bit more money into a good carb. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

i looked at this for the 408.

a stock or very mild 5.0/ 302 using 2nd hand parts and stock ford computer - can be done pretty cheap.

serious performance EFI - by time you do the fuel pump(s), return lines, bigger injectors, customising a manifold,and buying/ wiring/ setting up the electronics - it was going to cost me over $10k for my application.

maybe after i win thebig one???

Quick Reply: Multi-Port F.I. or good ole' carb?