Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cost of Paint Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cost of Paint Jobs

I have a co-worker who is part owner of a paint shop with his brother in law south of Laredo, (yea in Mexico).

I have seen twovehicles he has painted and they look damn good. One was a 2003 Monte Carlo with hail damage, and the other was a 93 Chevy Dooley that was a well worn work truck. Nice body work and a very nice finish.

I can check on prices for you if you want. I would have let this guy do the paint on the 66 but it is a long trip from here and I was a little apprehensive about sending the 66 to Mexico...
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

I have a co-worker who is part owner of a paint shop with his brother in law south of Laredo, (yea in Mexico).

I have seen twovehicles he has painted and they look damn good. One was a 2003 Monte Carlo with hail damage, and the other was a 93 Chevy Dooley that was a well worn work truck. Nice body work and a very nice finish.

I can check on prices for you if you want. I would have let this guy do the paint on the 66 but it is a long trip from here and I was a little apprehensive about sending the 66 to Mexico...

Mexico is riskey bizz......
Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't pay less than $3000 for a paint job. And that's with no body work. Good paint is almost $300 a gallon!

Yeah, you can get it cheaper, you can get anything cheaper.

I've got about 7 grand into my car just for body and paint work.
And after I get done spending another 5 grand to put the car back together it will still only be worth $12,000! Oh well.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
gooser
2nd Gear Member

rustoleum anyone?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

Heres what you do,go to a Body shop and find out who actually does the shooting of the paint.Talk to him about doing it for you on the side and work something out.Rent a spray booth and have it done!!It should cost you about half price if you help with it as in sanding between coats and clear,etc,Good Luck!!I have never Paid more than $2500 to have a stang painted and that included all materials!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Mine will be painted this spring. I was quoted (roughly) $2500 for them to do the prep and paint. $800 for me to do the prep and they shoot, colorsand and buff. I'll probably pay materials on top of that. I'm planning on about $1,500 total since their estimate was rough. They actually suggested it would be better for me to do the prep as I would be more particular, and they told me exactly how to do it. They will get the car stripped of chrome, sanded and ready for masking. They will shoot the exterior only plus under the hood - no door jambs or trunk. I get it back a week later. I'll also pay extra for them to pick up and deliver on their truck since the car will hardly be street legal.
Small town (15,000 population)in central Illinois. This shop painted part of my 2005 cranberry red Mustang last winter after it got damaged. The color match was perfect and the amount of orange peel matched the factory paint. They painted my 99 Cherokee too and it was not quite as good but still quite nice. I worked in a body shop years ago and little has changed in prep. They gave me the right instructions. Painting does not take that much time. The prep does.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
jlp66stang
2nd Gear Member

I've seen some pretty good paint jobs done in a garage with a box fan at the door. You can buy PPG, Martin Senour or other brands for about $500 or $600 to prime and paint. I waited 3 mo. for a bodyshop to paint one and all the body work and primer was done, all they had to do was scuff and shoot the paint. We traded on some work so I wasn't out much. After that I decided to paint my own, bought a cheap paint booth and a good gun. All that for what one paint job costs! They want everbody to think there is some great mystery to paintinga car. Thats why they came up with basecoat/clearcoat, any idiot can shoot it. Even if you get some trash in it, the cut and buff is what makes the paint job now! Of course, the body work has to be good, or paint it white!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM
1965forAC

FWIW - don't forget about the other costs that the paint shops have. Enviornmental fees, rent, machinery, payroll taxes, city permits, insurance, workmans comp, etc... There are a lot more expenses then people realize - I guess if it's that easy, everyone would be hanging a sign and setting up shop. Then again, you can do it yourself and probably pay the same amount for all the required equiptment. That's why Mexico is so cheap, they don't have to pay for all that stuff. SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

My paint and body was $3800 after we called in a personal favor from knowing the guy in charge of the shop. They took all the panels off, smoothed them out, primed, 3 coats of base and 4 coats of clear (or vice versa, I forget exactly) and put it all back together, including new weatherstrip/seals/trim that we provided. It's not a perfect job, but it looks real nice and is more than fine for a daily driver. Not bad at all for a local GM dealership to turn out I think.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:28 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

If you take it to Mexio, you might not get it back. No offense to anyone.

Quick Reply: Cost of Paint Jobs