Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pics of front suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: pics of front suspension work

Don't cut the strut rod. If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch.. you can get the nut off. Even if the rubber catches fire...you're ahead if you have the torch. IF you can't get a torch, try even a propane torch, like they use for sweating copper pipe. It may be just enough...and if it isn't, just the fact of it heating and cooling can be the difference. Also, if you don't have pneumatic tools, borrow an electric impact... that will do the trick...(use the shortest extension possible as not to lose the torque value of the wrench)
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
dr1965
2nd Gear Member

your g/f helps with your car?? shes a keeper!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 PM
plcdude
2nd Gear Member

Long cheater bar with a "bfh" worked on mine after a thorough soaking with penetrant.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ok im not sure what "bfh" means, but im asuming alot of arm strength, cursing and swear words. possibly even a bloody knuckle or two. lol

also heres another pic or two. doesnt show much, but if everyone else is like me, i love to see pics.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

you should put the 2 bolts that hold the strut rod to the lower control arm back in

that will hold everything still until you get that nut off
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

bfh = big f**ken handle

i just did these a few months ago on my 67 coupe, i rented a 24 inch breaker bar and slid my jack handle over it, so made it about 5 ft long, still took all my weight and i weigh 240+
Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
dave l

guys, lots of good suggestions but if its been their forever you have to use a torch, no other choice!!!!! dont know where your located but if you live in a snow state thats your only option, the arm needs reattaching,

get that nut cherry red

run it off with a impact (if no air than use a breaker bar, 1/2 drive, than ratchet it off

if your good enough with a torch you will get it off in less than 5 min

map, propane and other kids torches dont put out any kind of heat quick, all youll do is melt the rubber and have a stinky, smokey garage and even your girl wont want to be around you after setting rubber ablaze

2nd option for no air or torch is to take a socket over the nut smack it with a big hammer, than doo the same to the flats of the nut with a piece of flat stock or anything you can find but dont dammage the nut hit it flat, you need to shock the nut due to the rust factor

this all comes from 25 yrs + of working on cars and truck for a living
Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

May not be able to get it in there, but have you tried a nut splitter?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

If you have the strut bolted to the lower control arm and you can't get the front bolt off with your impact, soak it with pb blaster while you go to the store and buy a better impact.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

using a torch is out of the question, shocking it might help. but i might try this...... soak it some more with penetrating lubricant, shock it with a huge hammer on both sides, and then see if autozone rents a larger impact gun, other than that, i might have to buy a socket that fits 1/2 wrench, then buy the wrench, then buy a breaker bar and who knows that might not even work, so ill try the renting option first. its bolted to the lower control arm, so i should be able to really put some torque into the impact gun.

Quick Reply: pics of front suspension work