Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

5-spd conversion ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

Default 5-spd conversion ?????

Okay guys...the time has come!!!!

I finally have the $$$ to get the 4 spd top loader out of my fastback and convert the car to a 5-spd set up. I know alot of people have done this and i had a few questions as to what parts are best fothe install.

First off, i have a 289 with a fidanza aluminum flywheel and a McLeod clutch and pressure plate. When i change to a 5 spd i am assuming that i can retain these??? I will need a new bellhousing, new clutch disc (plan on going 26 spline), new crossmember, driveshaft spacer???

I am thinking of a g-force t-5 or a tko 500 (26 spline). I had a tko 500 in my 03 mach 1 and it worked great but i hear that you have to bang up the floor board pretty good to get the tko in there. Which company makes the best crossmember for the g-force t-5?

Also, which is the best cable/quadrant conversion to get? I am sorry for all the questions just that i will be looking to order all the stuff by no later than Wednesday. I have done searches and just wanna get a definate opinion on which parts are best for the job!!

I will be putting my 4-speed top loader (close ratio) for sale as soon as the parts go in!! Anyone interested let me know!!

Thanks alot guys!!
Joe
Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
quesey
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 5-spd conversion ?????

they say a tremec will bolt up to your bellhousing if you get right 1 think it's 3560 or 3550 not good at then #'s yet. thats what i've got in the 65FB i doing i made all my own stuff for the cable clutch and crossmember lined up right were the old shifter did cut a hurst comp plus shifter handle off bolted it right up still looks stock
kinda looks like this 1 from ebay but if you stay with you bellhousing you wont need any of this just a crossmember
Old 01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
quesey
1st Gear Member

lol forgot to put link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

thanks man..i dont think i'm gonna reuse anything except for the fidanza flywheel and McLeod set up...only like 2 months old...i plan on buying everything from new....bellhousing, crossmember, tranny, and cable set up...which is the best company to get the best quality parts....a place for the crossmember, cable set up, and yoke?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:42 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Funny thing its 10 bucks cheaper on his site http://www.mustangsteve.com/cable.html on the t5 cross member every mustang part house sells one probably made by one company so compare the prices and if theres sell tax or not.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
JamesW

To keep your flywheel and clutch, and still get a starter to fit, you'll need to keep your bellhousing, change the fork setup from push to pull, and add the spacer plate between the trans and the T-5. If you want to use a T5 bell and trans with no spacer, you'll need a different size flywheel and clutch/pressure plate.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:48 PM
MonsterB
2nd Gear Member

i am doing the same. i purchased a t5 out of a 93 cobra. i got the bell housing, fly wheel,shifter and the yolk. i have been told that a 83-93 fits perfect and the shifter will also line up.
I have heard though that you will need to change your fly wheel. they are wieghted differently and are not compatible. the older stang has a 50oz wieth and the late model has a 28oz.
i am not sure but you may want to check.
i know that you will need the cross member to allow the t5 to sit 1" lower. you dont have to but your diveline will be at a weird angle. the cable addapter is available at most mustang vendors sights.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 PM
JamesW

You can take the late model flywheel to a machine shop and have it rebalanced to match the early model motor.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

man this is some good info....now why cant the 289 flywheel work? I thought i needed the flywheel to work with the 289 rather than the late model 302?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 PM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

oh...i think its cause of the starter right? Man..i just bought the flywheel and clutch set up...probably less than 600 miles ago!!!!

hmmm....i may re-think this now....

Quick Reply: 5-spd conversion ?????