Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

347 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default 347 stroker

how much would it cost to stroke my existing 302? The motor is brand new. just wish i would have bought a crate motor in the first place. I live in southern california if anybody knows of a good place. Was gonna buy some AFR heads but if i keep it 302 i would get the 165's and if im eventually gonna run a 347 then i would get the 185's. So i decided i should have it stroked first.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
ky
America ftw

Default RE: 347 stroker

afr 185s are like $1300. the crank is like 270. and then a rebuild kit with forged pistons and gaskets and bearings and rings etc is around $600. at least thats what the prices i wouldve payed through my work. but i get them discounted since i work at an engine shop. it light be a couple more hundred for you unless you have hookups.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

it really depends on where you get the kit from. ive been looking for a 408 stroker kit for my 351 but its all the same idea. you could go with a Eagle stroker kit (fairly expansive but tough) or you could go with a Scat kit (like eagle, maybe not as expensive but prob just as tough) or you could go witha less widely known brandlike TMD (the mustang depot, havnt heard much about them). there are also other brands that i have not listed like Probe (dont really know what they are like) i beleive JMD used one of the TMDkits for his 408 stroker. all the stroker kits have different levels as to how much power they can take (h-beam vs. i-beam rods, forged crank vs. cast crank etc.). you really hafta know what kind of power you plan on putting out to know that "level" kit you use
you should also know what heads to use as most kits have a selection to what pistons you can get with the kits because the compression ratio can go up/down with what size heads and what pistons you use. you should also know what compression ratio you want to have before ordering.

anyone feel free to correct me as i may have been wrong with some info
Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

i can get the products. Just trying to figure on who and how much to install the stroker kit.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
ky
America ftw

im in north cali so i cant help you out there. but the block needs to be ground to clear the rods/crank due to the longer stroke. i know at my work we prefer for the customer to buy the products through us instead of the customer bringin in their own parts for them to be assembled.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

ive seen some Eagle kits go from anywhere from like 1000 to like 1900. Scat is slightly cheaper and Probe and TMD is even cheaper. these are prices for the whole kits, pistons, rods, crank etc.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I bought my331kit for ~$900, which included a Scat high nodular cast iron crank, Scat forged I-beam rods (bushed for full floating pins), KB hypereutectic pistons, and matching plasma moly rings. Figure another $175 for balancing, plus maybe $200 for clearancing work on the block and $50 for cleaning.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: true66gt

afr 185s are like $1300. the crank is like 270. and then a rebuild kit with forged pistons and gaskets and bearings and rings etc is around $600. at least thats what the prices i wouldve payed through my work. but i get them discounted since i work at an engine shop. it light be a couple more hundred for you unless you have hookups.
where did you find a stroker crank for 270?!?!? the cheapest ive found was like 500
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

If the block is new( has not been run) you can do it yourself. Just make sure the kit is balanced. To make the clearance for the rods. temp. install the block side main bearing in the first middle and last mains. set the crank in the block and take 1 rod with 1 piston with out rings on it do not install the locks. take the rod and bolt it to the crank 1 cylinder at a time rotate the crank until the rod bolt hits the bottom of the cylinder. take a sharpe and draw a notch around the bolt and go to the next cylinder until you have all the cylinders marked. Then take the crank out of the block and use a die grinder and cut out the notches. then put the crank back in to check your work when it clears clean the block and build the motor.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

i have never done any motor work before. Im just thinking it would be cheaper to have my block stroked instead of buying a short block. I would buy the parts from the guy installing them. what do you guys think it would cost to take the car somewhere and have the motor stroked? cause you guys are talking another language than what i speak.

Quick Reply: 347 stroker