Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wow these spolers really do work

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Gun Jam

Default Wow these spolers really do work

There ain't no weekend warriors when it comes to front spoilers, people either love them or hate them.

Either way it doesn't change the fact that they work, its just good news for those of us who have them

I had my front spoiler off today for the first time since 2001 and I had forgot that i had taken It off when I got in my car and headed for the freeway. As soon as speeds started to get above 70mph I though to myself "self...Damn this car is making a lot more noise than usual sounds like unusually high wind drag I wonder if hood has popped up and is caught on the safety....Nope it looks closed and locked...Then what the %$*) is making all that wind drag....OH THATs right the front spoiler is missing...wow that really does do more than **** off Soaring. Sounds like its actually pretty effective at keeping wind out from under the car and cutting down on drag...Cool!

So If you have been wondering if these things really work It appears so. I noticed it as soon as I got up to 70 and was very noticeable at 80. I cant think of anything else that would cause the car to make an audible increase in wind drag. It wasnt abnormally windy and I dont believe it was a head wind. Im pretty sure the spoiler works.

-Gun

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wow these spolers really do work

sweet! ill hafta get 1 in the future...very long future..... like once i get the suspension, drivetrain etc done
Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Maybe you didn't have the radio on.

hey...I'm just saying.....
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

I've never reallt thought about putting one on mine.. wouldn't look bad in my opinion, but then again we have some nasty dips in our roads here and I'm not so sure that's the sort of thing I want to bother with, especially if it would damage the body under the nose if it caught on something.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm not a huge fan of them on pre-69's that don't get track driven. I wouldn't go as far as saying that they're ugly, just not my style. They do look much better on 69-70 sports roof cars, partially because they were a factory option.

That said, they do work. I wouldn't want to track mine without first adding a front spoiler, and possibly a rear one as well.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Anything that stops air from going under the car is going to make a huge difference. Do you have problems with hitting it on bumps or gutters or anything? I want to get one, but I dont want to be crapping my pants every time i go over a bump.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I put 1 on my 67 because i heard it stabilized the car at high speeds. We took my car on the highwaya day or two after we finished. I noticed that it made the car shake less and made the ride seem smoother. They really do work like they say they do.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

Anything that stops air from going under the car is going to make a huge difference. Do you have problems with hitting it on bumps or gutters or anything? I want to get one, but I dont want to be crapping my pants every time i go over a bump.
I have to watch out for steep driveways and stuff like that. If you take them slow it will help not scrape. My dad pulled into this place maybe 3 days after and then SCRAPE.... he hit the spoiler on the concrete road. The road had a incline and dip at the begining so the car hit. Only time it has hit so far though.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Gun Jam

Steep driveways and curbs are bad. My car sits about 3" lower than a stock mustang too so that front spoiler is about 4" off the ground.

The one i have is semi flexible and will rebound with no problems its a pretty tough little guy (Had it like 6 years i think or at least it feels like it)...But if you eat curb with it and attempt to get the front wheels to touch the curb before parking like Someone Did with mine it will be the last trip with your spoiler[>:]

So 1) remember its on the front of the car when you drive around and park it
2) Let anyone who may drive your car know its there and not to let it touch the curb or anything else.

-Gun
Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The scrape factor is the only thing that makes me leary of putting one on. Do you guys run them at factor ride height, or lowered? It'd be nice if someone made an air dam, instead of a spoiler that stuck way out in front. Or made them in polyeurethane so they flexed.Carbon/Kevlar maybe......

Quick Reply: Wow these spolers really do work