Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front disc worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 AM
pokertramp

Default Front disc worth it?

First off I doubt I ever will go V-8 in my car, I like the i-6 and may even plan on a turbo inline. My question is, Is it worth it to do the 4 lug disc brake swap on my car as opposed to keeping drum/drum with a newer dual MC and no power brakes. I have heard the 67 master cylinder is a good upgrade and it would be just as good as front discs with no power brakes. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Front disc worth it?

Disc make the car stop faster since your making the car faster id go v8 spindles and disc maybe even a 8 inch rear with the truck drums.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Come on Dude!
Are you serious?
Even my kids new bike came with front disc brakes. lol
Just poking @ you. I have several old fords and mustangs.
One by one all of them are going to front disc.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Disc Brakes will give you less brake fade, and they still stop the car when they are wet. Isn't that enough? Btw, I have a 68 and trust me, if water gets in those drums, you better hope you have a lot of room in front of you. That's why I'm switching to disc before my car goes back on the road.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 AM
jcp123

As long as you keep driving defensively, there's nothing wrong with manualdrums, although they do fade easier and any water in the drums can make them useless. If you're going to hop up the six, you may think about upgrading the brakes, though...speed is nothing without being able to stop!

Having said that, when I start on my hot rod, it'll have manual drums and probably 1/4 in the 13's...

That was the long way of saying, no, you don't really need to ditch the drums.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Absoultely go with discs, at least for the front. That is 40 yr old technology, and if you plan on turbo'ing the engine, the car was never designed for that. So, do the swap. Drum brakes are a thing of the past. Too unpredicatable.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

As the commercial says, "Dude!"

Drum brakes suck.[:'(]
Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
pokertramp

So am I better off with a 4 lug disc brake swap or a 5 lug? If I go 4 lug, does anyone know the most reasonably priced kit that is out there? I know the diskbrakeswap granada 5l ug kit is around $600?,,,I think. If that is cheaper than a 4 lug disc I may just go that route.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

I think it really depends on what you want whether to do 4 or 5 lug, but I would completely recommendthe upgrade to disk brakes. They would not have switched technology if there was no improvement... better safe then sorry. If you upgrade to five lug you will have alot wider wheel selection. If you upgrade I would also go with upgraded spindles, I know you said you will probably not go with a V8 but you never know what could happen to your engine... As for cost I think you can bring it down with looking on ebay, and can even get the spindles from there... in fact here is a complete kit ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...ayphotohosting
Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I'm getting ready for a complete tear down of our 67 and rebuilding it from the ground up. What was the first thing I bought? Front Disk Brakes!

Its purely a safety issue regardless of if you have an inline 6 or V8. Disk brakes stop you better and faster. Its really a no brainer.. Order the front disks [sm=smiley20.gif]

I got mine from Dennis at disk brake swap (CSRP). Just posted yesterday a thread with photos of every part and how it was shipped.

Quick Reply: Front disc worth it?