Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Custom Auto Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Custom Auto Sound

When I did my audio last year I read too many complaints about the Custom Audio Sound stuff. I figured they can't all be wrong. It seemed like about half of their owners are happy & half are not.
So I got a Pioneer for $100 & put it in the glove box. Plays CDs, MP3s, etc, etc. I made a mounting plate to fit it in & I even have about a 4" wide glove box arealeft.
I left the old stock AM non functioning radio in the dash to fool people.
I spent about $50 more getting an IR repeater so I can use the Pioneer remote with the glove box door closed.
If you want more info on that IR repeater let me know & I will post some links etc.
It all works nice & was cheaper than the Custom Audio radios.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Art Brock

When I did my audio last year I read too many complaints about the Custom Audio Sound stuff. I figured they can't all be wrong. It seemed like about half of their owners are happy & half are not.
So I got a Pioneer for $100 & put it in the glove box. Plays CDs, MP3s, etc, etc. I made a mounting plate to fit it in & I even have about a 4" wide glove box arealeft.
I left the old stock AM non functioning radio in the dash to fool people.
I spent about $50 more getting an IR repeater so I can use the Pioneer remote with the glove box door closed.
If you want more info on that IR repeater let me know & I will post some links etc.
It all works nice & was cheaper than the Custom Audio radios.
That would be great thanks. I was thinking of mounting a unit under the passanger seat and going with some sort of repeater.
Cheers.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
ras214

Man I'm glad i read this post. You guys just saved me $300.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

Radio is a Pioneer 3900DEH that comes with a small remote control. (I bought a factory refurbished one with a 1 year warranty on EBay for $95 shipped).

Here is the IR-X repeater by PAC (I bought mine from an electronics dealer on EBay)
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...ared+Repeaters

They recomend to use a noise filter on it on older cars so the voltage spikes won't kill it so I also got their CSS-12 Noise Filter & used it for the repeater & the radio.
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...oise%20Filters

One end of the repeater has to be in front of the radio so I mounted it to the back side of the glove box door so when it is closed it is right in front of the radio.
Other end has to go somewhere so it can see the remote control signal. So I used a plastic tie wrap to secure it to an existing hole in the bottom lip of the dash. It is pointing straight at the floor but the eye is curved enough that it still sees my remote signal. It is tiny & hard to notice it. I've had it in about 6 months & it works great.

I'll take a few pictures this week and post them here.