Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Door Striker Plate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
dsrt

Default Door Striker Plate Removal

Ok, is it just me, or are these a bear to remove? I started out with a large phillips screwdriver. That didn't work so I soaked the bolts (both front and back) with penetrating oil and hit it with the screwdriver again...nothing. I tried heating up the striker plate with a torch then used penetrating oil again, this time I used a large impact driver, guess what, the damned screws still won't budge.[/align][/align]Short of drilling the screws and retapping the holes, anyone else have any ideas? lol[/align]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Door Striker Plate Removal

go to sears and pick up a manual impact driver u hit it with a hammer and u can put a large phillips bit in it
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 PM
dsrt

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

go to sears and pick up a manual impact driver u hit it with a hammer and u can put a large phillips bit in it
[/align][/align]That's what I was using...it's never failed me before. I have an unobstructed view of both ends of the screw, there doesn't appear to be any rust. I'm about ready to get out the grinder. I was planning on replacing the striker plates anyways, this will give me a good excuse. lol[/align]
Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
snobigy

I am having the same trouble - let me know if something worked for you !
Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Use the impact hammer that rmodel65 recomended with a three pound sledge hammer. The strikers are designed to not come off easy. An impact wrench did not work as good as the manual one. I've removed them from all four of my Mustangs and had them replated gold zinc. To get temporary ones from donor cars, I found that about a quarter of the one I tried to get off were rusted in place so I gave up and went to another car.
BIG HAMMER and IMPACT TOOL.
Jim
Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

Use the impact hammer that rmodel65 recomended with a three pound sledge hammer. The strikers are designed to not come off easy. An impact wrench did not work as good as the manual one. I've removed them from all four of my Mustangs and had them replated gold zinc. To get temporary ones from donor cars, I found that about a quarter of the one I tried to get off were rusted in place so I gave up and went to another car.
BIG HAMMER and IMPACT TOOL.
Jim
Jim is right, the best way to get the screws loose is to use impact driver. They can be bought from any hardware store, motorcyle shop or auto parts store for about 10 bucks..They usually come with the right screw driver bits so you don't screw the cross-point screws up. A second way is the drill the heads off of the countersunk screws. (but then you have to figure out hoe to get the rest of the screw out of the retainers).
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

That may be the best way, but it ain't the only way. Ifn' you are poor and can't afford an impact wrench or even an air compressor, here is the real redneck impact phillips screwdriver.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10034/040C9259203C46BA8E1F9F758C3C2B65.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I ended up welding a phillips head bit to the screw and removing it with a ratchet.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tony R

I ended up welding a phillips head bit to the screw and removing it with a ratchet.
Hey, that'll work. We all know there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Skinning a cat? Is that the correct thing to do with a 'wood's *****'?
With the impact tool, you use enough force with a sledge hammer that if you miss, you break your hand - but the striker will come loose.
Jim

Quick Reply: Door Striker Plate Removal