Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

decoding engine hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
odonian

Default RE: decoding engine hp

dammit, images won't embed. here's link:

http://route31hotrods.com/65mustangconv.html
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

that actually could be the original engine.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 AM
odonian

keeping in mind that I know very, very little about combustion engines, how does one identify how many barrels a carb has? am i going to have to remove the air cleaner to check it out? are there numbers on it by which i can pull out some sherlock holmes deductive like reasoning?

i posted the pics in a different post as well, but i'm interested to hear what you guys think about this car before i blow 10 grand on it. thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Just take off the air cleaner and look down the carb. If there are 4 holes, it is a 4 barrel.

If the car looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, and there is no evidence of rust on the body, I'd buy it. If the floors are bad, the cowl probably is too though. I'd replace the floors and buy the "hats" for the cowl. While this is not an ideal solution for a daily driver, if you're going to just use it for a weekend cruiser I think it would be fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Here's what a 2 barrel carb looks like with the upper half of the carb removed.
The 2 holes are called barrels:

this is what the carb looks from below:

and this is a 4barrell from top:

Kalli
Old 02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
odonian

you guys are amazing. thanks so much for all the help. i think i'm going to go check it out this weekend and bring some money with me in case it looks good. i'll let you guys know what happens. wish me luck!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

best of luck.
as you're new to mustangs I have to suggest you bring someone who knows about those cars.
maybe you have a mustang club somewhere near, where you could ask. I would be surprised if not.
At the same time maybe someone on this forum might live near.
In retrospect I could kick myself up my own ar$e for not doing it, but I didn't have much of a choice as I live in Europe.

it would be great if there were pictures from the floor of the car, the framerails and pictures of the framerails inside of the trunk (all mats removed). as well you might to check for the cowl.
If you pour water down the grille between hood and windscreen it should not leak into the car.
If the cowl is rotten the water will flow to driver and passenger side foot area and wet the carbs. big job to repair

Kalli

Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

those lads in your area ?
http://www.chicagolandmustang.com/

Old 02-20-2008, 10:48 AM
odonian

Kalli,
my brother's girlfriend's dad (thats a mouthful) is a longtime classic camaro guy who has rebuilt several from the ground up. after talking to him, he's got a least a large portion of the requisite knowledge to judge the car's potential, if not value. i'll be bringing him with me. if there's any question in my mind as to how much rust the car has or how much work it will need to make it a solid car, i'll just be taking some pictures, which i will then be sure to post up here so you all can have a looksie. of course, if i buy the damn thing, i'll be posting pictures too, so i guess either way you're going to get pics.

i'm really, really hoping that the car is solid.i've been looking for a little over a year for a solid driver that needs work, but not a major overhaul, and is in my price range. hopefully i've found it.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
odonian

yeah, roundabout. i live about 60 miles away. i'll message them and see if one of them wants to meet us there. jeez kalli, wish i could buy you a beer. have to come to cork sometime and look you up.

Quick Reply: decoding engine hp