Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

wrecking my head .... what do you lads think about this

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: wrecking my head .... what do you lads think about this

I have spent over 50% of the money I have EVER made on my mustang. Am I crazy? Yes.

but its worth it.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Thats why my dad and I got myself a mach 1, every penny we put into it will make the value go up. But in any case, it is still worth it almost no matter what. Its not the $$$, its the fact that we enjoy doing this as a hobby and a passion, and that is priceless.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-18-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Time for a trip to the th US ? Do you still have to pay the sme duty as when you take it yourself ? I could sworn it was better. could be wrong though. Would be nice to spend that Extra money on a small vacation here.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

ORIGINAL: JMD

I really admire you guys outside of the United States who take on these projects!

These projects are expensive enough, and hard enoughhere.

I offer my sincere respect!
And that goes from me as well. There are such great cars built on your home grounds, to "step outside the box" is pretty darned cool in my opinion!

Best buy is a car all ready completed. But then you get someone elses interpretation of what the car should be.
That is so true Scott. Kalli has a choice of dozens of worthy cars he could turn into road rockets. He chose a Mustang therefore Kalli ROCKS.

If I lived in Europe I would probably still prefer an older car because I like the character and the fact that driver has control. But it would probably be a stinking hot early 3 series Beemer or something like that (alpina anyone?).

Here, European cars are very very expensive to restore. I always wanted a 928 Porsche (a v8 with handling built in). You can buy a pretty good one for less than $15k. But a basic engine rebuild is a $30,000 exercise.

As for the local stuff...the real car my GT Falcon is modelled on ranges between $500,000 for a "restorers dream" to around $1m for a concours restored one. A good replica is worth $80,000. Even a basic auto i6 rusty original condition grandpa's car is worth over $10k.

Mustangs have been steadily increasing in value here. Rare stuff is expensive, but a Boss429 can be had for $150 - 200k. Compare that to the local stuff and its pretty good value.

**** i just fully hijacked kalli's thread...sorry mate
Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

This is like asking a drug dealer if it is bad to take drugs. Of course you are doing the right thing! Anyone who says differently is not really a Mustang fanatic.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68EFIvert

This is like asking a drug dealer if it is bad to take drugs. Of course you are doing the right thing! Anyone who says differently is not really a Mustang fanatic.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Funny because it is true!

For many years now my wife has been "helping" me to be "fiscally responsible" when it comes to buying cars and car parts.......mmm.... damnit..........

Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

ORIGINAL: JMD

I really admire you guys outside of the United States who take on these projects!

These projects are expensive enough, and hard enoughhere.

I offer my sincere respect!
And that goes from me as well. There are such great cars built on your home grounds, to "step outside the box" is pretty darned cool in my opinion!

Best buy is a car all ready completed. But then you get someone elses interpretation of what the car should be.

same goes here, one of the only resons i get ot play with my toys is because im still living at home.and also because i dont farm anything out except for exhaust and machine work id have tons of money tied up in mine if i hadnt done all the body work!

but the value of money over seas> our money [8D]
Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

but the value of money over seas> our money [8D]
I wish[:@]
maybe in Europe, not here
$1 Aus = $0.90 US and thats only recent. 12 months ago it was $0.75 and when I got my car it was about $0.56.

basically by time i add freight and local taxes and convert it to Aussie$$ I take your price and times it by 2 or 3 (depending on what it is I'm buying)
Old 02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

I live my classic restoration lifestyle by one rule...

Cheaper than therapy

Seriously though, I can spend a few hours with my cars and the world is a much better place than when I started. All the money I pour into them is not because I want an investment.

Quick Reply: wrecking my head .... what do you lads think about this