Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

wrecking my head .... what do you lads think about this

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: wrecking my head .... what do you lads think about this

[align=left]word
ORIGINAL: Kenny_Z
[/align]
I live my classic restoration lifestyle by one rule...

Cheaper than therapy

Seriously though, I can spend a few hours with my cars and the world is a much better place than when I started. All the money I pour into them is not because I want an investment.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Gun Jam

You can have one badass mustang that is built custom to your driving conditions/habits or 2 stock mustangs that might not do much for ya.
See its not such an issue now

-Gun
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm in the same boat...................different ocean..........................

US$33K for a 68GT Fastback. US$16K so far on parts ( keeping all the original parts and
everything is reversible ). Shipping costs sux. But places like Summit and MU will ship
USPS which is reasonable ( just received my Foose Nitrous Legends... ). 9 inch nodular
TT 3.55 on the way as I type.

At the end of the day though, ifI had bought a BMW or such for US$50K it would look old
within a year or two, and also not stand out among the thousands of BMW's and Merc's in Tokyo.
The Mustang is a true rarity here, and one that is will sorted, so much more. So though I question
the cash i am putting into the car, there really is some sense in it, or so I have convinced myself............

Jav
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

thanks all lads ... you really are making good points here ...
I have myself convinced that it's a great idea but there was some part of my brain saying: lunatic !
I always wanted one, no I have one. why don't I just shut up and stop moaning.

It's actually very true. And indeed I shouldn't ask my drug dealers,
but at least here I know I get the answer I want to hear ;-) and yes ya. what's the point in having 2 ****ty cars when you can have 1 great one. It's actually not tooooo hard to do all that overseas once you have an internet connection and helping hands. The biggest pains are:
- all the beloved scrapyards turn useless to you. no stangs here
- if you need a part you will have to wait. I can't just go into a shop if my alternator dies. I'll have to wait til I get it delivered.

Taking a trip to the US is a great idea. I could buy a lot of small parts and send them to myself and declare that as aa pressie or something. But they probably won't let me through the airportwith a transmission under my arm. And if boxes get as big and heavy as that (rearaxle etc) then customs will ask questions. But I think it's ok for used parts.

Kalli

Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Kalli,

Your mad and I feel your pain, as does my bank account!! I broughta pair offront leaf spring eye bushing $72!!! now to fit everthing
Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-18-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:46 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Ok Scott case of wine for your birthday and could I have a crate engine 289 with supercharger for mine!!! Official for uk anything over $300 you have to pay duty on to the UK and while a IPOD is easily hidden car parts ain't. Is the a set of heads in your pocket?? We just have to suffer. What pisses me off is that they collect the duty when they deliver the parts and charge you for that as well and you can't pay in advance madness.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

while you can't bring that through customs in your pockets, the gift idea might work.
you just have to make sure that the heads come in a bright white package with a red bow tie string ;-)

but yes, to gifts there is a value limit as well.
Once JMD sent me the his diff and customs never bothered as you don't have to pay VAT on used parts as for as I know.
Irish customs (i shouldn't say this too loud) have a weird way of working this anyway.
Sometimes they leave my packages through without charging me duty/VAT.
I haven't figured the pattern, but what seems to be the case is:
bigger chance of not paying if:
- USPS instead of UPS/FedEx etc
- packet arrives at customs on a friday
- packet is not overly big or heavy

kalli

Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Kalli,

The dutch customs are very efficient unfortunatley which is a bastard.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

It just goes to show that if you have a vested interest and truly love something that $$$$$(money) will not stand in your way. If you are happy with what you have done to your classic and you enjoy driving it and get thumbs up when doing so, then that should be all the approval you need. There is nothing like driving in a classic mustang around the town/city/province and getting the looks and nods as you drive by any crowd. It must make any owner feel great to have a classic mustang that is still on the road and providing some great heritage,history, and appreciation to the cars for yesteryear!!!!!

Quick Reply: wrecking my head .... what do you lads think about this