Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Which brand of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Which brand of tires?

unfortunately the cooper cobras are in the same league as the BFG Radial T/As. I can't tell from experience.
I can only refer to tyre tests. You foind loads of them on the net when googling for it.
According to them it's the same: no grip, useless on wet

Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Radial T/A's, Cooper Cobras, Firestone Firehawks, and Dunlop GT Qualifier's are all in the same league. They're all relatively old designs using particularly hard, non-sticky rubber and an inferior tread design. The Dunlops have a slightly better tread design, but Dunlop's quality control is pretty sad (first hand experience, I worked at Sears for 2+ years)so I personally wouldn't use them.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Just a note. I had asome trouble with Goodyear. I boughta set ofGoodyear Eagle F1 ZR rated tireswhich I thought was an excellent tire, but was really let down. I had a bad viberation at about 70and after chasing down drive angles, checking wheel bearings, suspension, tire pressure, Ihad them "Road force" balanced. One was 141 lbs off and the other 46. They say I now hold the record for the worst tire they have ever seen. The maxium acceptable limit is 26lbs. After a short arguement with the retailer, and a copy of thetest results mixed with some attitude, they replaced them. The back two were OK, I hope. Now, they scare me, and I will never own another set. Be careful in what you select.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Goodyear does have quality control issues (which is why Dunlop now has them, as they bought Dunlop a while back), but you're going to get a defective tire eventually with almost any brand.It's more common with Goodyear than with Michelin (who owns BFG), but the F1's are usually a step above the rest of their tires. Just because you get one defective tire doesn't mean all of the company's tires are defective. It just means you had bad luck. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying their tires in the future, especially performance tires.

That said, I stay away from firestone, dunlop, and off-brand tires I've seen too many of them come through the shop defective.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

that's just it, you think your are buying a great tire, then something like that happens. Was it just a fluke or something that happens all the time? Evil, what are you running now or what would your run in the future if not the goodyears? It seems like somebody has a nightmare situation with every brand of tire out there. [:@] What to do.....
Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I was considering BFG Radials or Firehawks, but after looking up BFG g-Force Sports, its not much more moneyand appears to have better reviews. Whats everyone think of 225/60VR/15's on 15x7 wheels? Biggest concern is dry-traction since wont be in rain, snow, etc. Hows handling and noise?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:05 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I still have goodyears on the "E". I did notice that the front two which were bad, were made in Germany. The back two which are good (as far as I know)were made in the US. The two replacments for the frontwere made in China! Makes me puke! So I AM DONE WITH GOODYEAR. I will have to say that after road forcing them, the Chinease made tiresbalanced within just a few pounds, and run smooth as silk. Their are many options out there, I would look at the reviews and make my choice after doing so. I know thats what I'm gonna do next time.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zmetalmilitia

that's just it, you think your are buying a great tire, then something like that happens. Was it just a fluke or something that happens all the time? Evil, what are you running now or what would your run in the future if not the goodyears? It seems like somebody has a nightmare situation with every brand of tire out there. [:@] What to do.....
To some extent, every company has those problems. I've found that Michelin/BFG tends to have pretty good quality control. I've still run into some of their tires that are factory defects, but with most of their non-economytires it's not as common as other brands.

Goodyear's QC has gone down in the past few years. For as big a company as they are, I've run into a relatively high amount of defects from them, especially from their sub-brands (ie. Dunlop). I've found that their performance tires tend to be a little better QC wise, but they still have a couple slip through inspection periodically. My roommate got a GS-D3 that actually had creased belts forming a weird flat spot on the tread.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
03Mach69Mach
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

I still have goodyears on the "E". I did notice that the front two which were bad, were made in Germany. The back two which are good (as far as I know)were made in the US. The two replacments for the frontwere made in China! Makes me puke! So I AM DONE WITH GOODYEAR. I will have to say that after road forcing them, the Chinease made tiresbalanced within just a few pounds, and run smooth as silk. Their are many options out there, I would look at the reviews and make my choice after doing so. I know thats what I'm gonna do next time.
And don't forget the attitude you got from the dealer after purchasing some really high dollar tires. If the dealers stood behind them without any questions, then, I would agree that you were unlucky and should not give up on them. I had the same deal with a Goodyear dealer on one tire on my Harley truck. 20" GTII with less than 15000 miles and the sidewall began to seperate with no impact or damage. Dealer was total A$%, and we came to an agreement, but guess what the ole truck won't get when it's time for tires?

Wife's Windstar had Michelins (don't remember the exact tire, but it was the top of the line with the unlimited mileage warranty). Purchased through Sams clubs. Rotated every 5,000 miles with documentation and the tires wore perfect (all four) to 2/32nds, took back to Sams, they game me my money ($550) back and I bought another set of the tires. Pricey, but two sets of top of the line Michelins for $550!!!

Scrimp on lots of stuff, but find a good tire and don't be afraid of spending money on them. They are where the "rubber meets the road".......sorry for that.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

I have Summitomo HTRZ II's. The reviews on TireRack.com said great tread life and wet/dry traction. My brother also has them on his '93 Z28. I haven't had any problems with them, but i'm not too sure how well they performe compared to others since they are the first and only set of tires i've had on the stang.

Quick Reply: Which brand of tires?