Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Might have to sell my 69'

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Might have to sell my 69'

Do not sell...I repeat do not sell!!! If you do, you will be kicking yourself in the ***** everyday for the rest of your life. I have almost sold mine a couple of times and it is worth the price of the your paint job. I pat myself on the back for not every giving in.

NICE RIDE!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Don't sell the car, you'll only regret it later on down the road. You don't know how many times I have to listen to people saying that they still wish they had their Mustang, and most of the time it's my dad. It's better if it just sits in your garage than taking the chance of it being sold to somebody who won't take care it it the way it needs to be taken care of. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

Hey! I am a dad.If my son said 'buy me my grad gift now (beater (see above) and if i don't graduate i pay it back' (so you can keep the 'stang - and be sure to let the ol' man drive it too i would go for it.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Everyone on this forum is going to tell you "DO NOT SELL". Because everyone on this forum has a love for the classic Mustangs (Else we would not be members here) but then you knew that when you posted the thread... Basically this tells us you were looking reinforcement of a subconscious decision you had already made.

That being established, FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE CAR you WILL hate yourself for selling, your past with the car, the love of the build and affinity for the classics will eat you up for the rest of your life if you don't keep it (Even IF it sets allot while you are at school). BTW - setting and gaining no miles will help hold value, as long as it gets a little run time to keep her lubed.

In the end it's your car your decision, but it is already clear you've decided keep the car, it's just a question of how.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

let it sit at home and give your dad the keys and tell him he can drive it 1 day a week too work if he puts preium in her.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6t9 stang

Well i will be living Lincoln, NE, and I am playing football for the University of Nebraska so i wll have a very full schedule between football and going to school. So it will sit at my house most of the time because there is no way i am about to have that be my daily driver at school.

as far as a new tranny i am putting a T-5 in this weekend. what kind of mileage do you think i will gain out of that?

GO BUFFS!!!

haha, that being said: When have you ever heard someone say "I used to have a car like that and sold it, and I dont regret it"????

Just get a beater, or a decent DD if you can afford it and have your parents drive the car once every week or 2 to keep everything fresh. You will DEFINITELY regret it at some point in your life if you sell it.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

If it's good enough to be your current daily drivers why isn't it when you head off to school? If its gas mileage swap out the gears for something a bit better in this regards. I only wish I had your car (or our current project) back in school.

A buddyof mine throughout high school and university was on the cheap when it came to cars. He wanted something to get from point a to point be and didn't car what it looked like. He'd go buy an old Chevrolet Chevette or Pontiac Acadian for 500.00 bucks, drive it into the ground for a few months and then go buy another one. Cheap insurance, cheap gas and he had just as much fun with those cars as they were disposable to him.

Whatever you decide... You KNOW if you sell it you'll HATE yourself for decades to come!

Best of luck in your decision.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
tnyankee

Fast66 is right! Trust me, when I turned 16 all I wanted to buy was a vintage Mustang. Anyone would have done fine back then. But my Dad thought that it would need too much maintenance all the time and wouldn't let me get one. After a 4 year stint in the Marines and finally back in college again as a 25 year old I finally was able to buy a 66 coupe that I am currently working on to make my daily driver. I have a 2000 Celica that I am currently driving but trust me, when the Mustang is done the Celica is gone! I've waited too long for this car and I am not about to give it up now! LOL I say that you do the same... don't get rid of it bro!

Tony DiMaiolo
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: straw1628

Everyone else is right. Buy some beater and keep your car. If you drive it once in a while to school, it will be just fine. If you sell it you will forever regret it, then you will marry your girlfriend, have kids, t ball, girl scouts etc. (I have 3 of them) Then it is very hard to get that car back. Trust me!
EXACTLY!!!!!!!! This is what happened to me, dont be the guy in the mirror! Regret is a pain in the A**.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah never sell it the t5 gas milage depends on how you drive some people with the over drive tranny and efi get about 20 mpg.Id buy some cheap beater that runs good drive that daily have the mustang as a weekend car.

Quick Reply: Might have to sell my 69'