Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Default Welding question

Now that I have my new toy, I've been debating on whether I should learn how to weld to try and save some $$$ when it comes to time to replace the torque boxes and frame rail extensions. Is it hard to learn and do right?
Or am I better off getting someone to do it for me?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
silverblue66
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Welding question

I am a ameture welder that did the exact same thing. people here were very good at helping me out with thier knowlege so i try to do the same. yes you can do it. yes you will save money, but it will cost you time. it takes a body shop 40-60 hours to do a set of floorpans. thats a week, for someone who has never done it, working on it when they can think like one to two months its not that hard to learn. i went to a jc and took a class on mig welding. it cost like $60. then i started. i also read some books on body work and mustang restoration. anyone can do it well with enough practice and time. if you have this time, its very fun, and rewarding. if not pay someone, but make sure they will do it right and it is very expensive. hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:06 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Absolutely learn how, teach yourself. Not only will you be able to do anything on your new toy but it will be invaluable to you owning a classic. You will pay out thebutt for work you can do yourself. Do it, especially if your consideringit. Plus you'll get the satisfaction of doingit all yourself. I did all the work on mine an it was in bad shape.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

Consider the cost of the replacement parts and then consider the cost of a second set. You'd save money learning and screwing up a single replacement part than you would paying someone to do it. On top of that, when you mention to someone that you welded in your floorpans you'll get this look of awe and amazement from many people. That's the most amusing part
Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Depending on where you live you may have an option to go to an adult ed class at night at your local high school or JC, thats what i did. Iam not a great welder but can make things work. its a great place to start
If and when your ready get your self a MillerMatic 140, i sell all welding machines and for the entry level its a great place to start