Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

To Blur or not to blur?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default To Blur or not to blur?

Ok,,, so I am checking out a "brand X" car on YouTube, my brother-in-law walks by and checks it out.

He notes that the license plate is not blurred out, andmakes a statement to the effect of: "why didn't that dumb *** blur his plate"..

Well I had not previously noticed that the plate was not blurred out, but in thinking about it, I have wondered why so many folks domake their plates illegible on the Internet?

I meanthey probablydrive around with the plate plainly visible all of the time, perhaps in the view of thousands of people every week...

What are your opinions...
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: To Blur or not to blur?

I have never understood that either. People do it on ebay and craigslist too. It seems like if someone is going to try to copy your plate numbers or something they could just find a car at the mall or something, and then they would have the added bonus of the VIN and stuff. The only explanation I could guess is if the person were doing something illegal in the video (street racing, burnouts, etc.) they might be hesitant to put it up for the police to see or something.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

It is pretty pointless since you drive around all day displaying the plate hundreds or thousands of people. Not exactly a secret. Not long ago I saw a car on Craigslist I was considering for my niece. It had the plate blurred. It was also a scam. The guy found a bunch of pictures on the web of a car for sale and blurred out the plate to hide its real identity. Your plate number is not going to do a lot for anybody. The only thing they can do in some states is use it to request a name and address from the DMV but I don't know if there are any states left that will provide that anyway.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

I think that someone who is blurring the plate has something to hide... Either they are trying to sell a problem car or are just paranoid about someone finding them. Of course you need a law enforcement or DMV connection to look up the plate but it can be done. Personally I dont bother blurring my plates any time because I've got nothing to hide.

Personally I would not buy a car from someone who is blurring the plate in their ads.

But then again... Do you trust your brother in law??
I would be curious to hear the rationale behind his strong convictions on the topic.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

If someone really wanted to commit a crime and they had a car that was similar to yours they could fab up a fake plate to attempt to disquise their car and frame you. Course it seems like a lot of what ifs and alot of work for a criminal. Most arent that smart.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAY68_347

But then again... Do you trust your brother in law??
I would be curious to hear the rationale behind his strong convictions on the topic.
We went round and round for a few minutes about that

And,,, you have one of those cars that grabs my attention every time I see your signature,,, damn nice looking car...I might have said so before...but WTF,,,I will say it again...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

Hey JMD,
Thanks for the comps, 'preciate it!

And I have said it before and WTF, I'll say it again... Thanks for sending me that Barry Grant Demon carb DVD. You da man!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 AM
UBY289
2nd Gear Member

Blur isonly to hide something ,like racing or burns other than that why bother.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

For safety sake, yep. Too much access to DMV records. They can easily find you. The good thing is around here, I don't even know my 911 address is. They keep changing it, and often the new UPS and FedEx drivers go nutstrying to find me. I figure its only a matter of time before I can't even find it. Its hard to deter a thief, and if they want it, they will usually get it. I'm sure their are thousands of photos of our cars floating around the net. I guess some protection is better than none though. BTW, my garage is so messed up it would take a couple of hours even to get a car out.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:19 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

For safety sake, yep. Too much access to DMV records. They can easily find you. The good thing is around here, I don't even know my 911 address is. They keep changing it, and often the new UPS and FedEx drivers go nutstrying to find me. I figure its only a matter of time before I can't even find it. Its hard to deter a thief, and if they want it, they will usually get it. I'm sure their are thousands of photos of our cars floating around the net. I guess some protection is better than none though. BTW, my garage is so messed up it would take a couple of hours even to get a car out.
The internet is not annonymous. Regardless of if you blur your plates or not, if you post the pic you can be found. It would take a normal interent user about a minure to locate my address it would take an old hand seconds. Bluring the plates isn't going to stop that from happening. And for those that say "yeah but it helps"...no it doesn't. Going to the DMV and looking you up would take longer.

Quick Reply: To Blur or not to blur?