Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New gas tank leaks at sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
coupleofbridges

Default New gas tank leaks at sending unit

I bought a new gas tank from an online store, new sending unit, etc. It is leaking around the sending unit. We thought we had the gasket in there right, but it barely leaked. Took it to a certified mechanic. He tried. Leaks worse. Any thoughts? I'll probably contact manufacturer again. I have verified the donut deal is tightened properly. Should I use sealer putty stuff? But won't that make it where I can never take the sending unit out again?
Thanks for any ideas. I'd hate to send it all back and get another. I WANT TO DRIVE IT...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New gas tank leaks at sending unit

Its going back a couple of years for me, but I do remember that seal being quite difficult to line up correctly. In saying that, the seal will only be as good as its mating surfaces. Id pull it out again and check that both the tank mounting flange and the sender mouting flange are flat and undamaged. Avoid using any sealant if you can. You will inevitably get some sqeezed into the tank, which in turn will inevitably come loose and get sucked into you fuel line.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM
66 Restomod
1st Gear Member

I'd also suggest a light coat of lithium greaseon the rubber gasket to make sure it doesn't get pinched or pushed out of where it should be when installing once placed. Then use a small hammer and a screwdriver to tap the sending unit flange into the tank flange solidly, after it won't go anymore by hand.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:49 AM
coupleofbridges

Thank y'all for the info! Hopefully I'll be taking it back apart early this week. I've got a new gasket and some grease ready. Hopefully nothing is bent, but I'll see. Maybea thin streak ofgrease will help stick in place too while I try to put it back together. I'll let you know how it goes.
Hey, a handy tool I used to tighten it up was a square barred pry bar. It fit right between the fuel line and lined up exactly with the teeth to twist it in place. Worked great to twist it.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
coupleofbridges

Okay, pulled out the sending unit. It looks like the gasket was collapsed, squished on part. Also the floater on the unit has a little liquid (presumably gas) in it. I doubt that's supposed to be in there. Probably will look fora replacement float. Sheesh, wherewere these replacement partsmade anyway?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
coupleofbridges

Everything looked flat and true. Smeared some lithium grease on both sides that gasket would hit, and a little between the lock ring too to turn it easier. I think it worked great! Thanks y'all!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Cool dude!