Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

NEW update for Mach 1! lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default NEW update for Mach 1! lots of pics

Well here is a long, overdue update. I've been meaning to do an update for a long time, but then I just get on a roll so my pictures become outdated, or I just want to finish more stuff before I post some. Well I've finished 90% of the outside of the car and am now working on the inside, and have made tons of headway on that. Pretty much all that is left for my car is side windows, seats (need to recover and install), two back fiberglass panels, trap door, the rest of my sound system, and little things here and there.

The main things done to my car lately have been the installation of the front and rear glass which we had done by a pro for 60 bucks each, and that includes the moulding. He's been doing it since 1961. From there I i've put together the majority of my interior, finished the dash for the most part, carpet, and finished off my headliner. I've done everything myself so far except for installing the front and rear windows. Today I just finished installing my headunit, which involved modifying the radio bezel (don't worry I bought a repro, didn't cut up and original). The radio barely fit, and now the sides of the bezel are only about 1/16 of an inch thick. I cut it by hand with a sawzall blade and then took a dremel drill to it. Came out nice in my opinion, and I think the radio I picked out blends in quite well with the car, not too flashy.

And I wanted to give a big special thanks to Jim (honeygoldcoupe) for sending me some original 1969 mustang brochures, what a guy! These things are really cool and in amazing shape after 39 years, so I include some pics of them as well. Thanks again Jim!

Anyway here's some pics for you all to enjoy, I look forward to your feedback.

-David

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM
bamadale

Default RE: NEW update for Mach 1! lots of pics

i really like that car. the colors are great.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Gee, is that you working on it? I pictured you as younger.
Seriously, it's looking great. That is a great color. Mine was red but I always thought the blue were much better looking. Most of them were a green color. I like the photos of the interior. It's been 30 years but it all looked familiar. But you have to wonder how drunk the designers were when they put the clock where the driver can't see it. I also remember the clock couldn't keep time for sh.t! I've seen several 69 Machs sell around here in the past few years. I don't know what they bring in California but here that's a $40,000 to $50,000 car you've got.
The brochures look much better on your car than in my basement.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
silverblue66
2nd Gear Member

Looks great! Wanna do my headliner
Kip
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I don't know what to say except WOW! Awsome.... and I am a little green.....
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

The old dude working on your car is a bluetool. sorry I couldnt resist.

Seriously tho, that looks amazing. I cant even imagine how awesome it will look when its done. Congrats!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Haha yeah the only thing that I didn't like about him was that earpiece, luckily he wasn't talking on it at all.

Thanks guys for the wonderful comments so far. I take it I havn't done too bad for a 17 year old eh? haha

Keep the input comming
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

I'm quite jealous right now, it looks amazing.

I also have a question, how hard was it to cut the bezel to fit the radio? I've got a CDA-9883 that I put in mine last year (looks like it's a slightly higher model than the one you have, but I can't quite see the model on yours to tell for sure, regardless though you'll love it when you put some good speakers with it) and my bezel has been cut to pieces from the previous radio that was installed. I can't seem to justify $100 for the one made for the DIN radio and what you have there doesn't look bad at all.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Hey Nabster, I wanted the 9883 but they didn't have it locally so I got the one just below that, and besides it was a gift from my mom for xmas, i just helped her out . It wasn't too hard to cut the bezel to fit it, I ordered a repro from cjponyparts for like under 20 bucks because just like you, i wasn't going to pay 100 for the DIN style, that looked cheesy anyway. I took a fine toothed sawzall blade and basically cut the hole out all the way to the edge, I kept the height the same. However it still didn't fit, so I shaved the sides off even more. I used a dremel drill to do most of the work, just worked it back and forth. The sides are very very thin now compared to how it was before, but it gave me a few milimeters which is all that I needed. Then I taped off the chrome and spray painted the cut edges with black paint so it will blend in just incase it was visible. I did not repaint the whole thing, just around where I cut.

Also, I had to remove the big metal box thing that goes around the actual radio, I don't know the name for it. With that box being way up to the face of the radio, it will not fit in the bezel, but removed the radio will fit. When I installed the radio I slipped the metal box thing back on the back of it until I found the resting point on the dash, then I mounted it on that dash piece. This should eliminate the radio's ability to move up and down.

Oh, and I had to notch out some extra chrome on the edges and in the middle because then the plastic piece around the radio fit better and cleaner. When installed that plastic piece covers up the hole completely and all that is left is a nice, finished product.

I have two more pictures that should help you out but photobucket is down for the moment, I'll put them up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: NEW update for Mach 1! lots of pics