Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pertronix Coil ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Default Pertronix Coil ?

In the few weeks I have been on here I am getting the impression people don't think much of Pertronix Products.

I have a Pertronix Coil that I think has gone bad in under 1000 miles. I have a I6 so its not a race car. Since I replaced the points with the Pertronix Ignitordo I need to stick with thier coil or can I use one from my local auto parts store?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
BULLITT GT 390
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Pertronix Coil ?

I have a 289 and I'm useing the Pertronix Ignitorto and it works well but you need to get a Coil with a resistor if there is not one there I had the same thing happen to me I got mine at my local auto parts store
hope this helps good luck
Old 03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
woodywrkng

I'm using the Pertonix coil with their Ignitor ignition module, and they've been fine for 3+ years. I'm pretty sure you don't use a resistor with this setup, other than perhaps the factory resistor wire on the back of your ignition switch. Can't find my original instructions right now, but this is covered in the paperwork that comes with the coil and most likely the ignitor.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

My brother-in-law who is better than me at this helped me install these last year. I rember reading about the resister and we determined the car did not have one. She is dying after 20 minutes or so and several people said check the coil. Using instructions off Google it looks like mine went bad.

I think I'll try a new coil and hope that solves the problem.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I have never done a pertronix but I do understand the resistor thing. Mustangs have resistor wire under the dash. This wire is used to cut the voltage to the coil down to about 9V and helps to keep from burning up the points. If you are running a resistor with the coil you have you may be cutting the voltage too far down because that would make 2 resistors in the system. I would say run a coil from the parts store with no resistor and you should be good.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

This might help, no mention of a resistor though http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...ion/index.html
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Here is link and interesting post on the subject. http://home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2/ht...x_ignitor.html
Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 AM
michaelricha33

I have used a pertronix igniter since 1997 with their coil and never had a problem. Drove the car all the way from TX to MI, (home state to new state) in 1999 and it was totally fine. Never added an additional resister.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

"According to Pertronix, the pertronix flame thrower coil will work fine from 7.5 volts to 12 volts on the input side. If you need more power consider going to the 12v installation."

Not sure while yours is going bad when heated, butOEM Ford ignition pickups used to do the same back in the 70-80s. The coil wiring inside the pickup was going open as the temperature rose. sounds like the same type of problem you're seeing.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:49 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

When I bought my '67 Coupe V8, it already had the Pertronix points in it, but a factory coil. So, yes, you can go to your local auto parts and get a replacement coil. It will work just fine.

I also installed a Pertronix in a boat that had a 351W. Ikept the original coil on it too.

Quick Reply: Pertronix Coil ?