Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fabbing a restomod dash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fabbing a restomod dash!

I like old road signs. Aluminum alloy, and they don't rust. Hole and jig saws work on them pretty good and they are bendable.Here is one I made.Not pretty, but gets the job done.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/mikes006.jpg
Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Kale64.5vert

1970coupe.... Cruzzar has a great method for you.. I have done many custom pieces for Car Audio (trunk inserts, dash, etc...) and the best way to do it is the following...

Go to hobby lobby or a craft store and get the green floral foam that they use for dry arrangements.. You can take this and glue them together in multiple pieces using gorrilla glue or similar epoxy (don't use super glue it will just melt the foam.. and it will be a BAD mess). Once you have it built up to the way you want it begin sanding it down with a sander, and then when you get close to the look finish it off with a rasp, or file for the finer points...

Then what I have always done is use aluminum foil as the cover wrap so that the fiberglass has something to sit on and release off of, never tried duct tape, but I guess that would work... Then I spread the alluminum foil down with a spot of laquer sealer.. Some people have used specific paint releasing agents, but I have never gotten that high tech as this works well for me..

Then put the fiber sheets on it and begin to paint it down with the fiberglass resin... Depending on how tough you want it is up to you, but three or four layers is more than enough for most applications..

Let it cure and then gently pry it out and prep like normal fiberglass... Paint and VIOLA you are done.. You can reinforce things in the back with metal or wood brackets if you would like, it is totally up to you as you customize it out...

Good luck
Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kale64.5vert

1970coupe.... Cruzzar has a great method for you.. I have done many custom pieces for Car Audio (trunk inserts, dash, etc...) and the best way to do it is the following...

Go to hobby lobby or a craft store and get the green floral foam that they use for dry arrangements.. You can take this and glue them together in multiple pieces using gorrilla glue or similar epoxy (don't use super glue it will just melt the foam.. and it will be a BAD mess). Once you have it built up to the way you want it begin sanding it down with a sander, and then when you get close to the look finish it off with a rasp, or file for the finer points...

Then what I have always done is use aluminum foil as the cover wrap so that the fiberglass has something to sit on and release off of, never tried duct tape, but I guess that would work... Then I spread the alluminum foil down with a spot of laquer sealer.. Some people have used specific paint releasing agents, but I have never gotten that high tech as this works well for me..

Then put the fiber sheets on it and begin to paint it down with the fiberglass resin... Depending on how tough you want it is up to you, but three or four layers is more than enough for most applications..

Let it cure and then gently pry it out and prep like normal fiberglass... Paint and VIOLA you are done.. You can reinforce things in the back with metal or wood brackets if you would like, it is totally up to you as you customize it out...

Good luck
+1
Old 03-21-2008, 05:33 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

wow. cool thanks for the detailed description. is it something thats really hard to do?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:46 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Laying glass sounds easier than it is. [:'(]

The dash you linked is a flat metal panel either painted red or power coated red with the gauges mounted into it.
It is a form follows function type of thing there. It is basically the way gauges are installed in drag cars that have the interiors gutted...but the owner spruced it up a little bit with the dash pad and color scheme.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

1970 Coupe,
Do you have the dash & gauges that came in the car? & if so do you want to sell them?
I just bought a 1970 FB that is basically just a shell & all that stuff is missing (heck, pretty much EVERYTHING is missing on it except the body).
Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

actually yes. theyre in mint condition. still have factory ink marks june 1970. I reberbished the whole cluster with new circut board all internals, everything was cleaned up. blue filters removed and 5x bright led bulbs in each socket including flashers, warning lamps and turn signals. pm if your intrested!

EDIT: can i fiberglass the original plastic panel?
Old 03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

PM has been sent.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Kale64.5vert

--wow. cool thanks for the detailed description. is it something thats really hard to do?

Working with fiberglass is a chore and messy.. I won't lie, it will take a lot of work, and if you don't take your time and sand it down really good before priming, it will show thru in the finished product. Also don't scrimp on the safety stuff, resperator is a must (esp when sanding) and wear long sleeve shirts with gloves.. when you get it on your skin rinse off with COLD water... warm or hot will just open your pores and make it itch all the more.

If you have never worked with it before, I suggest you research it on the web first and get a good handle of what your getting into before you try it.

But if you do take your time and do it right, you will have one KICK butt looking dash.. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I bet it will be awesome
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

yes i hope!

i was looking on youtube and everyone is making the fiberglass from molds. when i do the styrofoam am i making a mold into the block or am i making it how i want it to look like in the fiberglass form?

Quick Reply: Fabbing a restomod dash!