Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fabbing a restomod dash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fabbing a restomod dash!

Last time I checked I thought it was a 3 step process if you are using foam.

Shape the foam to want the final product to look like.
Lay some plaster over it, wait till it dries, remove the foam.
clean up the inside of the mold you just made and then glass inside it.

The other option is to make it exactly like you want it to be out of foam but the over all dimension should be like 1/8 of an inch smaller....then glass directly over it....but then you have more clean up on the surface for a clean look I believe.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

hm ok. that doesnt sound too complicated.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Kale64.5vert

If I understand your question correctly you are asking if you should make a mold that they glass goes into to form like the inside of a bowl (negative mold), or one that drapes over the top of it as if you were molding the bottom of the bowl from the outside (positive mold)...

you can do either way, but I have found much better results and it seems a lot easier if you do it as a positive mold. you will need to make sure that the resin is pressed into all the glass and that there are as little bubbles as possible... doing it on a positive mold is easier.

So form the floral foam as you would want it to actualy look and then put the aluminum foil on and then the glass...

I have always done the second option Dodgestang mentioned in making it just a bit short, b/c going thru having to make a mold is too many extra steps for me..
Old 03-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

Cut, carve, sand the foam just like it was the final product and you were going to install it on (or under) the dash. Think about how it is to be attached and make provisions. Then you will cover it with two or three layers of glass and then remove the foam from the back leaving just a fiberglass form. The foam might be able to be removed without busting it up but most times it is not salvegable. If your form has a lot of sharp compound curves you might have to lay up small pieces of glass to get it to conform around them. If the shape is a relatively large radius curve it may be able to do the layup with one large piece of glass cloth (not fiberglass matt).
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

all the guy did on the dash that you gave us was cut a piece of sheetmetal and boted it up to a frame. pretty simple.

67evileleanor: can you possibly send me some more pics of the stang that you put the custum dash panel in? the interior mostly.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

I was looking at this dash in this video of somewhat copying.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DlmSYveMqKo
i think i can use the original two side dash panels and fiberglass them to make the gauge panel. then i would have to construct a foam dash and fiberglass that into an extending console.
should i make the console out of wood so it will be sturdy enough to hold my arm weight?

what materials do i need to buy tomorrow to get started? is there a link on making fiberglass from foam?
thanks guys!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

You should start with a sketch pad.

It is cheaper, faster, and the best way to determine what idea might work without investing alot of time fabbing something up. It also might save you spending alot of money on raw materials multiple, multiple times.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

dodgestang, why does it look like your fromt bumper is sagging on the side in that pic?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racin66coupe

dodgestang, why does it look like your fromt bumper is sagging on the side in that pic?
Because it's friday and you have been drinking...........or because it is a weird angle. I've noticed it before...but the bumper is on straight.

Looking crooked
http://www.dodgestang.com/newmustang.../motor06-2.jpg

Same day, same spot, 20 seconds later
http://www.dodgestang.com/newmustangimages/acahat.jpg
http://www.dodgestang.com/newmustang.../motor06-1.jpg

Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

ok cool! im quite the artist, so ill sketch up a few samples and post it on here to see if itll work.

Quick Reply: Fabbing a restomod dash!