Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

does my 289 sound healthy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: does my 289 sound healthy?

Some black on the thread side of the plug isn't uncommon, post a pic of the plug though. A brownish-grey color is actually about right for the insulator. The new video seems better, started easier and seems a bit more responsive. Keep in mind that if you have the stock cam, you won't need much ignition timing. Also, move the engine to TDC on #1 and look to see where the balancer marks are, the balancer ring may have spun a bit on the hub and that'll throw thr timing off. Does it run a little rough when cruising?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

thanks for reply!
i was about to make a picture of the plug but I cannot find my camera (photo). The videocamera and phone won't show proper colours.
I haven't drive it yet, but I'll do that tomorrow and make a picture then with my girlfriends camera when she's back home.
Car only ran rough in cruise when I got her. the distributor was half dead. Since I put the pertronix in that problem is gone

Tomorrow I'll check for OT, but I'd say with only a bent coathanger I won't be to accurate finding OT (don't have any other ideas). but at least I'll know if I'm in the ballpark

Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

so this time I took her out the road and I'm quite happy with the way she sounds.
I somehow believe she could have more push (or she had when i got her).
Straight after the short run (5 miles) I took pictures of the spark plug and to my surprise the colour changed already.
all the grey on the porcelain is gone and it is now white (the procelain, not any white things sticking to it) whith bright brown spots.

pictures attached. I took a video from the inside

does that all look/sound ok? i have a 3spd manual and I accellerated from lets say 25mph to 60 in my 2nd gear (3spd manual)
then i flicked to 3rd and stopped accellerating straight away because of the car in front of me and my 4drum brakes.
i have no idea what rpms i was doing (no tach), i just stop revving when my buttock-meter tells me to

here's a short vid (20 secs or so) and the plug as promised:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dNguQwSd_U

[IMG]local://upfiles/52145/8F14D8F5E7D74924913371F569E1F26F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/52145/B28BAAF5D3CF483BAC26F6D477288EB1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I liked the driving video! Looks like a fun drive, and your car impresses me for a more or less stock style 3 speed!

Even though I can't actually see people looking at your car I can "feel" them looking! It has to be cool to drive that car in Ireland!

Looking at those spark plugs, I think you must have taken car of any richness issues you might have been facing, might be a little lean now.

This can be hazardous, but it can also be good for engine life and fuel economy if you can pull it off.I wouldn't worry much as long as it does not overheat, surge, or detonate.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

thanks JMD, that's great to hear.
it's a fun driver alright and it seems to run better since the thread started.
And yes, people are looking over here a lot. I nearly caused 2 accidents in the past 2 years with people not turning their had back to the road. The boyracers over here are very inexperienced when it comes to muscle cars. They don't know what to make out of it, so noone ever tried to race me on a traffic light. They let of when they hear the thing.

At least I have the idle down to what it should be and it sounds strong there. no more idle dying.
it's thatnks to your rear axle internals that you send last year the car is driving at the moment and it's holding up good so far.
and btw: I have all parts ordered and they're all soon on their way to the shipping depot. I expect to receive them all at the end of april. 9" 3.5:1 trac loc, disc brakes front and back as well as a T-5 and loads of "minor" parts like braces and shocks etc. That's my car off the road for maybe a month as I'll try to do it myself. I guess I'll open 5000 more post while I'm doing that. (where does this screw go ...)

So what I'm doing next is probably to pull a plug and verify OT on balancer as well as keeping an eye on the plug colour
Thanks for all your help !

Kalli
Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

psssst, you're on the wrong side of the road
Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

psssst, you're on the wrong side of the road

ah man ... and i spent hours and hours and hours of troubleshooting this.
why did noone ever tell me before?
i mean i suspected that for a long long time but noone ever gave me any indication, clue, anything ?! ;-)
Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Wow, I hate to disagree with Jim, but I think those plugs are way too lean. I've always liked mine a rust color.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It'll make better power and get better mileage running it on the lean side of acceptable. But that only works if detonation and heat can be controlled.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

About the only thing I can see from the plug read is that the main jets are pretty darned close. The color band on the ground electrode looks good in the first picture. If anything, in the second picture that cylinder is still a slight bit on the cool side (rich).
The problem with this assumption (on my part) is that, those aren't new plugs on a single run. Even so, I think you are good.
The second video, theengine is reacting much better.No lag on acceleration, good starting.
If you really want to dial it in, pick up a wide band O2 meter. Weld a bung on each side, then run iton both sides and adjust from there.
Here is a good web page on how to read plugs. This is based on a single pull with fresh plugs. At top rpm, put it in neutral and kill the ignition. The inside of the metal threaded sleave shows idle mixture (common to have black soot, if plug test is not started on a fully warmed up car with brand new plugs).

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: does my 289 sound healthy?