Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

does my 289 sound healthy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: does my 289 sound healthy?

ORIGINAL: Scott H.

About the only thing I can see from the plug read is that the main jets are pretty darned close. The color band on the ground electrode looks good in the first picture. If anything, in the second picture that cylinder is still a slight bit on the cool side (rich).
The problem with this assumption (on my part) is that, those aren't new plugs on a single run. Even so, I think you are good.
The second video, theengine is reacting much better.No lag on acceleration, good starting.
If you really want to dial it in, pick up a wide band O2 meter. Weld a bung on each side, then run iton both sides and adjust from there.
Here is a good web page on how to read plugs. This is based on a single pull with fresh plugs. At top rpm, put it in neutral and kill the ignition. The inside of the metal threaded sleave shows idle mixture (common to have black soot, if plug test is not started on a fully warmed up car with brand new plugs).

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks Scott for your opinion. very interesting article as well.
the plugs are quite new, but no. not a single run.
I'll just buy a new plug. screw that in and run again.
what does: "main jets are pretty darned close" mean ? all ok, or should I try bigger or smaller jetting.

Thanks to all so far, it has been very helpful. car feels a lot better now (maybe just my imagination but puts my mind to rest)

Kalli
Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

IMO, I think your jetting is as close as you'll get without a wideband (or someone to follow behind you and tell you if you have black smoke under heavy acceleration). I'd say, leave it alone. Watch your plugs. If you start to get any signs of overheating cylinder temps, then drop down one heat range.

BTW: to do a plug read correctly, all 8 plugs should be looked attogether. Just in case there is a difference from side to side, or between cylinders. I prefer to jet to the leanest cylinder, that way I'm safe (if slightly rich) all the way around.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I'll leave her as is then and keep watching my plugs. Sweet !
i annoyed the **** out of her already... I'll let her get used to the setting now

Thanks for all your inputs, it has been very helpful
Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: kalli

Hi all, I have nothing to compare it to ...
check:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKBRQv1if0

does it sound healthy?
any suggestions ? leaner/richer?

does anyone know how you set lean/rich on autolite when the car is not in idle?
i mean i know the idle mixture screws and I believe I have them right, but whatabout when the car is running higher rpms?
as well when I accellerate and then let go I have puffs of black/blue smoke. that a sign of anything?
Normal idle no clouds ...

any feedback welcome !

Kalli
here you can compare it to mine
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff63/mjr46/?action=view¤t=DSCN1157.flv
Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 AM
philgrocks

What I heard was two things:
1) Starting was a little slow... Sounded lik your battery was low... This could mean your battery is not providing the CCA (Cold Crank Amps) to spec... Get your battery tested
2) I heard some clicking... This makes me think you have a noisy lifter. So you might want to check that

For the smoke...
Hard to see on the video if it was blue, black or just vapor.
- If Black - your carb is too rich for your engine
- If Blue - you have some oil in the combustion chamber. This could mean an oil link from the rings or the valve guides
- If lots of white smoke - then you could have a coolant leak into the combustion chamber, but I did not see that. Just saw some vapor that is consistent with just starting up an engine after it was sitting there.