Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc Brake Swap Problems, HALP

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Disc Brake Swap Problems, HALP

jeez enough already guys...asked and answered.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Smeezor

Alright I'll man up to say my frustrations got to the better of me in a post, but my dad's in the shop during the day and I was working from about 9pm onward to 3 am, and I didn't think it fit to call anyone in Texas and get an answer at that time, so I hit the next most likely place I could get aid from. I was pressed and frustrated to get the car in a rolling state by morning so my old man could move the car to work when he came out.

Yes the boxes the rotors in were labeled, but the boxes had been beat to hell and back by shipping (discbrakeswap packed them well, but the shipping monkeys are mean guys) so I took the rotors out and unpacked them to make sure they were okay. Well I lost track of the right and left there, I guess it was silly to think either one would have any sort of distinguishing mark on them?
And in regards to grinding the numbers, one rotor is completely clean looking, and the other one has some etching of what used to be an identification number and you can read about 3 and a numbers of something. I thought that those numbers would have been my clue in to the left and right, and well, I was pissed that they got miss stamped or destroyed somehow.

I did misunderstand him, Dennis did specify "use the plumbing only" and I glazed over it. Honestly however, someone who is experienced and familiar with the swap could write out simple instructions in 30 minutes or less and post them on the website. It doesn't have to be loaded with pictures or specify everything to the point of regulating your own breathing, but just a 1-2 page word document of "1) take cap off 2) take cauter pin out 3) take castle nut off 4) take nut off 5) take drum off" would have made the job much easier for someone inexperienced like me. Assumming everyone is an expert and being told, "It's simple" or "It's easy!" shouldn't be acceptable or sufficient.

I never said the parts are junkyard crap and even said in an earlier post that I liked the kit and they were good quality. Everything described was in the package and all the fittings and pieces are in order. Now that I've almost done stumbling and bumping through the swap and seen how well the parts fit together, I'd probably buy the same kit for my next mustang.

I'm sorry I came off as a ****. The reason I chose discbrakeswap was because I had seen the website and kit praised up and down on these boards for a complete, easy to install kit with good instructions, and with the third thing missing, I felt let down. For people reading this thread and considering the swap, don't take it as a criticism to his company, but make damn sure you have someone with you who has done a similar swap before if you don't feel confident in your own abilities.

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

i have not used the kit in question but every one praises it on here and they have excellent customer service ive also heard.

to the OP, its time to take a break and think about things it help trust me it helps regroup come back with a clear mind.
more than likely the caliper does indeed mount towarrds the front of the car like this my ssbc kits cost a crap load of cash but the instructions were not 100% AND I had to do a little tweaking with a part
You are 100% right, after going in with an immobile car, bruised knuckles and a bruised ego, I figured it out the next night in good order.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

see it all works itself out
Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

well said Smeezor...props to you
Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Smeezor

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

see it all works itself out
Oh I know! but I'll bet everyone else would also agree with me that it never seems that way at the time.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

I just want to throw in my $.02 here.
I know the frustrations of doing that front swap first hand. I bought my kit from Mustang Steve for similar reasons that Smeezor bought the kit from CSRP: Both of these guys get high marks across the boards for a reason.
I am sure there are a few others here that I am not familiar with.

I ran into some similar problems during my swap and had to get friendly with my shop manual to get me through some of the tight spots. I also had to shoulder tap the cats on this forum a few times. And finally I had to take the car and kit to a local machine shop to really get things put together right. I am sure in time I could have done every last step on my own but when you are in my shoes and you literally know no one who can help you with the little things (that could easily becaome BIG problems... like repacking bearings and getting the seals right...) It's money well spent for peace of mind.

I think it is important for anyone down the road following this thread to realize that even though the disc swap is an "easy" thing to do, it is not going to be effortless. It is really a job that would be better left to professionals but most of the guys on this forum... (and ladies, not to leave anyone out!) are DIY kinda people. So with a lot of patience and realizing that this job will likely take longer and cost more than you budgeted, you can easily do it yourself. But you can't cut corners and you really do need to be patient and expect the unexpected. There is a solution to every problem but it may not be entirely obvious. Patience... It is something I really struggle with because I want to drive my car NOW, always. Can you relate??

And on the subject of knocking vendors on the forums, as anyone here can see, it is not without controversy. Its a small group of people who burn time here and your words need to be chosen carefully. When my kit came with no instructions... Mustang Steve apologized and promptly sent me a word doc with the detailed instructions. It was a simple mistake and a very minor inconvenience. But the directions did not cover the little things like cotter pins, castle nut, etc... But that is stuff that anyone who has done this before would know. I didnt know about those things... And got out the shop manual to make sense of it all. If I had done the swap before, I would probably not have needed the instructions at all. Again, when I ran into some issues with my rotor that was machined improperly by my machine shop, Steve provided his personal phone number and helped me to understand the problem and I would recommend his product to anyone.

Off my soapbox.

Smeezor, I would love to see some pics of the finished results, hopefully all working nice now. Cheers.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Smeezor,
I appreciate your sentiment. I also appreciate the feedback and will write an install document. My response was based on the fact thatI believe in the integrity of word and deed. Words have meaning and impact. I try tochoose them carefully.

I have a lot of experience with writing process procedures and find it difficult to do them half way. Shipping and processing orders has come to be a 18 hour a day 7 days a week deal and my first priority isfillingthose orders. In any case, I consider this matter closed, with no hard feelings andyou cancount on me for continued support of your kit. Justemail or call.
Dennis