Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Roll-cage

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Roll-cage

seat mounting railsgoing sideways between the sill panel frame and the tunnel.
Very interesting idea.....

So, to improve side impact protection I should remove and leave the side bars sitting on the workbench?

The bottom is tied into the frame. The top is tied into the main hoop. Both ends of the side bar are "cupped" to the outside.

I'm surely not a structural engineer, but I'm guessing that the side bars, as they are right now, are offering more protection than a Taiwanese manufactured aftermarket door shell.

Dave
Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

i'm not an engineer either Dave and I'm not questioning your workmanship or how you have fixed each end.

The bars may wellbe better than nothing...or they may cause more damage to you and/or your passenger by being carried inbound by the taiwanese door shell which at least crumples up (albeit crudely) and absorbs some of that impact energy.

I have had first hand experience at 2 high speed rally crashes where the integrity of the roll cages, along with other safety devices, saved 4 lives from certain death.In another crash, the driver was killed and the poor design of the side intrusion aspect of his cage was listed as a contributing factor. The fact that he was doing 130mph also had something to do with it.[:-]

Sure, I'm talking extremes but I'm also suggesting it might be worth asking an engineer the question. Its your safety.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Dave,

I see you have met the guys over here on Mustang Forums. Welcome and I look forward to more of your good comments and ideas.

Darreld