Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
paramount

Default Please help

I need to get a car within the next four months and have been thinking about getting a drivable 65-69 mustang that I can work on the cosmetics when I get a chance until its 100%.

Heres a few questions. Please keep in mind I dont have any experience working on cars. Though I learn quickly with everything I do.

-I found what what looks like a decent 68 with the 351. The guy says the it runs fine except theres a linkage problem due to swaping out the trans from another car. Said the only problem is puting it into park sometimes.

- He said the passenger side door would need to be replaced and new inside door panels needed since they are cracked.

- He said he replaced the floor pans and the torque boxes were replaced.

-He said its drivable but would recommed powersteering and the disc breaks.

-Carpet needs replacing

- I will be checking out the car next week but the cars looks pretty good in the pictures.

To have a daily driver, what do you think it would cost to get this car ready? Im really just worried about mechanically right now and not cosmetic.

Please give me a price on the mechanically and approx price for the panels, etc.

Also, if theres an online store to find most of this stuff, that would be great.

Final question: What do you think the mpg would be for the 351 with everything else stock?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Please help

mustangs unlimited.......and as for price.......depends..without going over it in person....the infamous....quote of it only needs this or that or a little adjustment always turns into a mushroom cloud expecially on the classics
Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
paramount

I know the price is unlimited. But what cost is involved for changing to powersteering and disc breaks?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

powersteering plan on $500-1000 and disc plan on $800-1400
Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: paramount

I know the price is unlimited. But what cost is involved for changing to powersteering and disc breaks?
do you want factory original stuff or aftermarket??? cause aftermarket disc brake set ups run close to 1000.00 and p/s could be between 600 to 800 depending on set ups..........price is cheaper if you can pirate stuff from factory original equipped set ups
Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

if you post pics on here, it will be easier to tell you if it is a good deal.

mpg- need more info: rear gear ratio and tranny, although a lot of it depends on your driving style.

interior stuff- easy to replace and decently cheap

dont ever take the owners word when they say "it just needs this" to run. lots of times its wrong. I would take the car to a trusted mechanic who knows classics and have them give you an opinion.

lastly, check for rust, it is the most expensive thing to replace.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

To have a daily driver,
This in itself is asking for a lot. These cars are over 40 years old. 90% of the cars here break down.... regularly. Read some of the latest posts for examples. HELP ME! MY CAR WON"T START!is probably posted every other day.... sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.

Owning a classic car is a great experience... right up until the minute you try starting it, it won't start and now you're late for work. The boss will eventually stop laughing at your car problems and find someone with more reliable transportation. If you insist on relying on a classic to start every time, you'd better go through and inspect/replace EVERYTHING on the car first.

In my driveway is an immaculately restomodded '57 F100. In my garage area '66 FB (with every item new except the rear glass), a GT500"E"Eleanor clone(again, everything new except the back glass)...... (I've been lucky with the back glasses on these cars, what can I say?), an '05 Big Bear Merc Custom Chopper, an '03 HD LowRider, and an'01 HD 1200Custom. In front of the garage is a fully restored '88 Jeep Wrangler and parked next to it is my '04 Hemi Dodge Quad cab.

Do you know what I drive to work everyday? Idrive with my wife in her '98 Chevy Cavalier. It's about the "un-coolest" car imaginable and doesn't even have power windows! My point is that it's fun to own/drive the "cool" cars, but in reality they're all just "toys". Nothing beats a plain janedaily driver when you're looking forreliability.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

+1

Mechanics and cosmetics are easy. It's the tin worm that will ruin your life.

Look long and hard for rust while on your back under the car, and don't be afraid to get dirty.
Pour water down the cowl and look for a wet rug.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninteen66mustang

why would you wanna replace rust?[8D]
Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

To answer your question on were to find everythin, National parts depot is a good place to start, i usually use their catalogs. but if your going for aftermarket you can find a lot of the mechanical parts at an auto parts store for pretty cheap, their not the best but the get the job done.