Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

putting the car on jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Default putting the car on jackstands

so, i took the car off the ramps today.. did one side then the other. but i do want to put it on jackstands so i can do susp. stuff (disassembly, reassembly). so i guess i have a few questions. i recently got4 3000 lb jackstands from advance auto but there not QUITE wide enough to put under the frame rails.. i also have 2 6000 lb ones the fit very nicely. my question is, i was gunna put the 6000 lb ones on the front framerails and the 3000lb ones on the rear framerails (i THINK they should fit). does that sound safe enough??! i will be under the car and i really dont want it to fall on me.

my other question is.. should i do one side than the other OR do the front then the back or visa versa. it seem like doing one side then the other would be safest cuz then the car cant roll forward or backward.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: putting the car on jackstands

i know people have done this before lol. i just dont want the car to fall, and kill me
Old 04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Man I have been crawling around under my car for a year with the thing up on jackstands. It will be fine as long as you place them properly which it sounds like you will. At first, it is a little scary thinking that if it falls it will crush your melon but that is what these jack stand are designed for. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. Just make sure the car is on a level surface too.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

what size stands are you using, and where exactly do you have em?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I always have the jack under there with me as well. Any problem with a stand, the jack is there. I feel safer doing one side then the next when possible.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

noroof, i would do that, but the whole car will be on stands for a while.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

When you plan on working under the car, roll it outside with you and jack it up to the rail for the extra support.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Montanas Mustang
1st Gear Member

I would agree with putting the 6K stands on the front, that is where most of the weight of the car is (assuming the engine/tranny is still in it). When you put the stands in the back try turning them 90 degrees and putting them out by the ends of the axle. Most stands are "cupped" on top and the axle should sit nicely in the top of the stand.

As for what order...I would do the front first (one side at at time) then the back (one side at a time). When you are doing the front your drive train should prevent any front/back movement (make sure it's in gear and the parking brake is on). When you get to the back...if you don't have a limited slip I would do the NON-drive wheel first, then the drive wheel (with a "POSI" you can do either side first). That way your drive wheel is the last to come off the ground (it should hold the car from moving front/back and by the time it comes off the ground the car is on 3 stationary stands and a "semi-mobile" jack and shouldn't move). An alternative to this is to put the jack under the "pumpkin" and put both stands in at once. You have to have a jack with a pretty wide and "cupped" pad for me to feel safe with this. It's too easy for the "pumpkin" to slip off the jack as you are raising it.

Once you get it on the stands put an old wheel/wheel-tire combo under each corner (wheel/hub/frame rail) of the car. That way even if the stands fail/slip there is something to keep the car from coming all the way to the ground (and you can move them around to allow easy access but still have the safety factor). Stands are 99% safe as the weight of the car makes it almost impossible for them to slide/slip. I always put something in under the corners though...just in case. If you don't have extra wheels you can use the ones off the car or stack and nail together 12"-16" long pieces of 2"X6" or 2"X12" lumber (NOT 2"X4"s...too wobbly) to make a back-up to the stands.

I may sound paranoid but I would rather live to be called a "chicken" than be a squashed "stud".
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
65Coupester
2nd Gear Member

Agree with Montanas use the axel, it is where the car is normally supported.
I have chunks of 4x6 that I put around for safety.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I put my front jack stands under the motor mount ares up front, they were out of the way for everything and was secured nicely. ( I didn't have the motor and trans in though) For the rear, I did have them placed under the axle when I had the axle in. When the axle was out, I placed them under the rear torque box areas. You have to make sure that when the stands are placed under the car, try and shake the car a bit to make sure it is settled but do this with the jack still in place and the wheels on. If you have to place the entire car on stands, just make sure they are secured. I used I think 4,000lbs stands. The car fully assembled weighs around 3200lbs I think. Mine of course was not fully assembled. I could lift the rear up by hand at times.

Quick Reply: putting the car on jackstands