Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

upholstery kit or upholstery shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: upholstery kit or upholstery shop

I'd say buy the kit and do it yourself. Its not rocket science but does take a bit of time to install. If your the do-it-yourselfer you'll appreciate the seats and workmanship more once done. If your looking for acustom look then of course do the shop.

Search the forums as there are a number of posts about doing this and example detailing the procedure online.

There is no better choice. It simply depends on if you want to do it yourself or pay someone else to do it for you.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

buy the kit and do it yourself...i had no experience with any of this stuff before i did mine and everything turned out just fine

i mean read up on it first but its really not too hard once you get the hang of it which can take a few hours haha. i actually almost gave in and took it to a shop but once i realized what i was doing wrong it was a piece of cake. plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself is worth it imo. oh and im not sure if youve seen the sport seat conversions but thats what i got and i LOVE it...one of the best things ive done to my car i think.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

I vote for buy the kit and let a uphostery shop install them. The $100 I spent was well worth it since he fixed foam and even brulap in the rear seat....
Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 AM
alderpulp

I say buy the kit and let the shop install it for you. That's what I did and am quite pleased. I am sure that I "could have" done it myself, but I wanted to spend that time doing something else that I was more comfortable with....carpet....brakes....detail...etc. etc. The seats look BRAND NEW!!!!and that's what I wanted for I will be looking at them for a long time...
Old 04-12-2008, 05:00 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Ever notice how no one who works at an upholstery shop looks like they graduated from Harvard? A set of decent hog ring pliers and a Saturday afternoon with an ordered kit and you'll be amazed at the fine job you did. I did my Mach 1 high back buckets and the rear seats myself.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Yeah do it yourself the satisfaction is worth it in my opinion. Especially if you have a more complex interior like a pony interior or like me a mach 1 interior, then definitely do it yourself with a repop kits because it is more exact. My repro's were pretty good, I'm sure the ones for earier models will be even better

also my high back seats were a pain in the ***, took me forever for both. The rear seat is a peace of cake though, especially the earlier flatter ones.

also get a good set of hog ring pliars, the ones that came with my kit wern't the best, they tended to tweak and bend after using them, and I actually broke a pair (don't ask me how, i'm not sure haha).