Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

So I almost killed a kid yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default So I almost killed a kid yesterday...

On the upside, I know my new CSRP disc brakes work.

Driving down the narrow (no divider line) street I live on on the way to a friend's house, going under 25, two kids jump out from in between a couple parked cars on the left not 20 feet in front of me. The older of the two sees me and stops, the younger (maybe 4 yrs old) keeps going. As I panic stop I realize there's no way I can stop the car before I hit him. I managed to swerve right as I was braking and slid by him, missed him by no more than a foot. There's two black stripes going diagonally across the road where the tires locked, right next to the spot where the kids were hiding. Not sure I would've had that much control with my old drums.

As I'm sitting there shaking, the mother comes out of the house to yell at the kid and swat him a little. A) Who the hell lets their 4yr play outside without adult supervision? B) Who let's their children, let alone a 4 yr old, play in the freaking street?!@#%$ If I hadn't been paying attention, or if I hadn't been able to swerve enough, the kid would be dead. I hate stupid parents...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: So I almost killed a kid yesterday...

Consider yourself lucky.

Retrace everything you did in the 5 minutes prior to that near miss. If you'd have done one thing just a little bit differently... something that would have delayed you and put you 1 second closer to those kids jumping out... the outcome of the situation could have had catastrophic results.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you,

Dave

Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Gun Jam

kids are just stupid because they are kids and require lots of attention to make sure they stay stupid away from danger.

The little tosser that lives across from me pulls that crap a lot but never as close of a call as that. My damn dog knows more about not running out in the street and looking both ways than him. His parents constantly yell at him to look both ways but he forgets in about 3 minutes and dur-tee-durr hes not paying attention again.

I'm glad everything went well just imagine he could broken the radiator grill or chipped some paint.

-Gun
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

all good :-) the kid has learned his lesson and so have you
Old 06-17-2008, 01:26 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

The kid was only one to do wrong, not starfury, so why would he "learn his lesson?" The kid needed his *** beat after somebody cleaned all of thesh!t out of his pants!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm not mad at the kid. At that age, it's not your fault for being stupid. It's the parents' fault for not teaching him a) not to play in the damned street, and b) to look both ways before crossing the street. Not to mention actually leaving the kid outside without adult supervision. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with parents today? Is whatever you have to do inside more important than the safety of your children?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

I think not, kids should be your first priority, no matter what! You are right, the parents are responsible, I said that because you said that they have yelled at the kid to look both ways and stuff, so they have said something to the kid. Still though, the kid needs supervision.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Glad it worked out the way it did. I have a lot of kids on my street, as well as a lot of people that like to park there. (guess they don't want to clutter up the driveway) Whenever I have to drive by cars close together or a bunch of them, I slow down to like 10-15. I like a little distance between me and them too. Never know when some idiot will open a door.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 PM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

See it every day. The two boys across the street are MAYBE 2 and 4 years old. They have one of those electric Jeeps. The damn thing spends more time in the middle of the street than on the sidewalk. The street is 30 mph and down a fair sized hill.

The parents obviously dont see a problem with it. So I dont say a thing. But one day ....
Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

sad part is if you would have hit the kid, even though there is no way you could have avoided it the parents would have sued you.

Quick Reply: So I almost killed a kid yesterday...