Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 Any Rebuild Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

Default 289 Any Rebuild Kits

I am rebiulding my 289 ford mustang engine and the mechanic asked me to get everything standard size.
I will be putting the Edelbrock RPM Heads w/the 1.90 VLV Size, So idont have to make any major upgrades or modifications.
Im looking to get the following parts:
Pistons
Piston Rings
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings
Cam Bearings
I have some questions though where do they sell kits for these can anyone refer me to some other sites that have these.I seen these on summit's wensite:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Whats the difference between these three, can i buy any one of these?

Engine Rebuild, Forged Flat, 4.000 in. Bore, Standard Rod, Standard Main, Ford, 289/ 302, Kit
Engine Rebuild, Forged Flat, 4.000 in. Bore, .030 in. Rod, .030 in. Main, Ford, 289/ 302, Kit
Engine Rebuild, Forged Flat, 4.000 in. Bore, .010 in. Rod, .010 in. Main, Ford, 289/ 302, Kit

One of my other questions is, where do they come up with this so called HIPO-289?
Iseen some pistons called hipo and are more expensive, about $50 dollars each piston.
Do they install Hipo pistons to call it a "289 HIPO" engine or is there more involve to make it one?

Im looking to buy these ASAP, so if any one has some imput on this or any kind of help PLEASE tell me i would appreciate it!!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 289 Any Rebuild Kits

The hi-po engine was a 271hp 289 (VIN designation K)with different rods and pistons, among other things. You don't have one, so don't worry about it The kit you're looking at is fine for a stock improvementrebuild.

The differences between those three kits are the bearing sizes. If your crank needs to be machined down to make the bearing journals round again, you need oversize bearings to match. This is something the machine shop is going to have to determine. Also, check again and make sure he wants you to get everything standard size. How many miles were on the engine? It's not common that you'll be able to rebuild a used 289 without having to bore the cylinders out some.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

relative question.

lets say I have an engine that im rebuilding yet dont know the history or if its been rebuilt, end up pulling the heads to find that the block has been bored over. where dose one find these over sized parts like rings? standard suply places?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 PM
WD0AFQ
1st Gear Member

Sure, any parts place. I got all of my stuff from Summit when we did mine. Tore it down, let the machinist, tell me what I needed and ordered. Got it with in just a couple days, plus free shipping and no tax. May have bought the bearings and pistons local, can't recall.
Hipo pistons will increase your compresion. I would not do that with today's gas.
Dan
Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

performance automotive warehouse had good prices on rebuild kits when i built my last motor
Old 06-28-2008, 02:41 AM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

The hi-po engine was a 271hp 289 (VIN designation K)with different rods and pistons, among other things. You don't have one, so don't worry about it The kit you're looking at is fine for a stock improvementrebuild.

The differences between those three kits are the bearing sizes. If your crank needs to be machined down to make the bearing journals round again, you need oversize bearings to match. This is something the machine shop is going to have to determine. Also, check again and make sure he wants you to get everything standard size. How many miles were on the engine? It's not common that you'll be able to rebuild a used 289 without having to bore the cylinders out some.
Yea he asked me to get standard size pistons and rings my engine has 89,518 original miles.
i just dont know about the rod and main bearings.
So about the HIPO 289 it performes simarly to the original 289....?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 AM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WD0AFQ

Sure, any parts place. I got all of my stuff from Summit when we did mine. Tore it down, let the machinist, tell me what I needed and ordered. Got it with in just a couple days, plus free shipping and no tax. May have bought the bearings and pistons local, can't recall.
Hipo pistons will increase your compresion. I would not do that with today's gas.
Dan
Why wouldnt you convert it to a 289 Hipo if it would produce a big performance difference??
Old 06-28-2008, 02:48 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yes but its upgraded to operate at a higher rpm, solid cam, machined heads for valve springs+ screw in studs, special balancer. alternator pulleys etc
Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 AM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

yes but its upgraded to operate at a higher rpm, solid cam, machined heads for valve springs+ screw in studs, special balancer. alternator pulleys etc
so wouldnt recommend to do it then, just sick with the stock ones and some rpm heads and i should feel a big power difference right?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:40 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I was going to explain it but instead just googled it and came up with this quick blurb:

The engine begins life as a standard 289 Cubic Inch cast iron block. Unverified and an area of controversy is the crankshaft. It is said that the crankshafts were tested for hardness and ones that met a standard were handpicked for the HI-PO engine, the ones that didn’t went into standard 289 engines. The rod bearings and bolts were upsized. The front of the crankshaft has a hatchet weight to balance out the weight of the larger rod bearings and bolts. The harmonic balancer was also enlarged for the same reason. Pistons were cast and the compression ratio is 10:5 to 1. The alternator pulley was also enlarged to reduce the number of revolutions at high engine RPMs. HI-PO engines also had a metal radiator shroud, and a wide four blade, riveted cooling fan.

The cast iron heads were unique to the HI-PO engine, with chrome plated valve stems, solid valve lifters, screw in rocker studs, and cast in valve springs guides. The camshaft has special contoured lobes for high-lift valve openings, and contributes to the slightly uneven idle and that unique solid lifter sound. The exhaust manifolds were cast iron free flowing 'header type' and all HI-POs had a 2" exhaust system with a crossover design 'H' pipe to equalize pressure and dual parallel, low restriction mufflers.

The intake manifold was a standard cast iron 289 4V, but the carburetor was a 600 CFM Autolite 4100 with a manual choke with a tuned 360 degree low restriction air cleaner. The distributor was a Fomoco dual-point mechanical advance, ignition wires were solid core, and the spark plugs (in 1965) were Autolite BF-32s. The BF-32s were a fairly cold spark plug that occasionally fouled in normal driving and BF-42s (slightly hotter) spark plugs were specified for later 1966 & 1967 HI-POs.

Quick Reply: 289 Any Rebuild Kits