Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

turboomg a carbed 289

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Default RE: turboomg a carbed 289

You should probably post this in the Boost section of MF.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

the guys in the boost section never answer any questions. that place is dead unless youre askin about NAWZZZZZZZZ!
plus i want to share this with my classic mustang brothers.

heres more pictures:

and heres the boost gauge i yanked off my buddys 06 STi before he sold it (also got it for ...guess how much...FREE!:

Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Well I have been planning on turbocharging my 6. When I asked they told me not to go over 10. Your chance of detonation increases. I was told to run about 6-8. I am getting the smaller T3.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

thanks man, good to know.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

You could run higher than that. I just don't know how much higher since it is a stock V8.

EDIT: Talk to cprsteetmachines. He does turbos and he could tell you what you need to know.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

what kinda pistons are in there now? hyper's? forged?

afr makes kickass heads, edelbrock just released a new series, canfields and rhs are awesome, and trick flows will also work very well.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

probably old info, to ya but; make sure that engine has a GOOD cooling system! wouldnt want to make things sizzle red after scoring all that free stuff
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

the block is stock, just bolt ons. im gunna have to build it up, and yes thank you flying fool, beefin up both the fuel system AND the cooling system, anyone recommend a certain radiator or oil cooler? also gettin a free brand new over flow tank from another buddies STi[8D] im tryin to go as cheap as i can for parts, but im doin it right when it comes to the motor and i know that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ when the car got wrecked it ****ed up my back right wheel (second time that ones been screwed and it WASNT my fault[:@]) so im gettin some weld pro stars and powdercoatin em black gunna be rollin around in a white coupe with a black vinyl top, black right front fender and blak hood. straight gangsta[8D] but i love the idea of having something pretty unique. if possible i wanna keep it carbed for cost reasons (im a cheap bastard). also i have a drag built C4, orderd the ratchet shifter already, i had orderd 4.10s but cancelled because i figure 3.73s or 3.80s would be better but what do you guys think for rear end gears? when the tranny or somethin in the driveline blows im goin for a tko500 but thats money, and so is a clutch/bellhousing so until then its stayin 3 speed auto. would MSDs LAUCNHMASTER 2 step work? is there any kinda launch control for these older cars where i can launch with boost built/ i know im gunna blow the rearend to peices after a few launchs, if i make it past hte first one, but ford 9" here i come...yalls feed back is awesome, any more suggestions or reminders keep em comin.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Where you been at i thought you died or something lol.Yeah you can turbo a carb its harder to get right efi would be better less chance of leaning out and breaking something.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Seems like there is a some miss information going on here.The amount of boost you can run will be dependent on your engines internals,compression ratio and capabilities of your fuel system.Most of your expense now will be fabrcatingheaders and the hot/cold side.There are no off the shelf parts that are usuable.The engine bay of a fox 5.0 is not the same and flipped shorties are not the best choice.Getting a carb tuned is no harder then tuning it for N/A.There soome internal mods that must be done, but once its tuned, its tuned...........nothing will "break" because your running a carb instead of EFI.My fuel system was about $11-1200 bucks.I had a carb built that turned out to a $800 piece of crap.For gears, stay under a 3.55(or 3.25). My 3.80's will not build boost in 1st gear, it revs out too fast, 2nd will see 10 psi and so on.I didnt make a big number because as soon as we were leaning it out, it killed the clutch, but at 404 RWHP, its a handfull to drive, but there might be75-100 hp left in tuning.CPR did my kit and my tuning

Quick Reply: turboomg a carbed 289