Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how fast have you gone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
jimmy428
2nd Gear Member

Default how fast have you gone?

for the sake of those good 'ol times, how fast have you all gone in a classic mustang or any car for that matter?

tell me the car, a bit of the scenario, and what happened (cops or no).

just one of those thoughts [8D]
Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how fast have you gone?

Not sure. My speedo only goes to 120. I would guess 150-160mph but have not way to prove it. I keep meaning to put the GPS in the car and check it out, but I have not done it yet. I have not hit the track yet, but my 1/4 mile trap speed should bebewteen 120-125.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

put your flame suit on now kid!

the 66 got very scary @ about 130 it was way more than I should have went with the stock suspension.
on a old runway @ a car show/ event in tn years back.

Havent had it out enough to open it up yet but it will move fast with very little effort now.

sure after the safety police flame you youll get some good stories.
Valley, Supersnake ,LCC have some very fast cars from what I can tell from the vids and build specks they are the real deal
Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

I havent really tried much past 100 in a while.

Got to 118mph on my old 92 accord before the governor kicked in.[:'(]
Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

110 mph.......as I get older I have realized the faster you go usually leads to more mechanical problems down the line.

When I was 19 I did take my 96 Trans-Am to about 140 and almost kill my self. You grow out of all that in hurry after an accident.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I trap at 113 at the track at 6300ish in 3rd for the 1/4. The car has been to 6k in 4th at an event but the speedo isn't hooked up.

Don't find out on a public street what you peak at. They aren't smooth enough or controlled enough.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

Fastest I've driven was 130+ in a 1974 Buick Century Coupe 4BBl 350 land yacht. No real story behind it, just buried the needle on the speedo and slowed down. I, also, believe I went about that fast in my 88 LX 5.0 Mustang, again not exactly sure as the speedo didn't read that high.

I once rode in a 79 Z28 going 140+ (Max the Radar Read)at night.....I was in the back seat riding with two people in the front. We met a cop who immediate stopped and turn on his lights...we blew past him and he turned around. We were in a small town and it was the only White Z28 around, the cop would have known who he was. So, my friend just slowed down and stopped. The cop arrested him and the other guy drove his car home to tell the guys parents that he needed to be bailed out of jail.

Fastest I ever went in a car though was between 150 and 160 in an early 80s Z28 with a 383 stroker and 2.43 gears on a Dana independent rear axle from a vette, I believe. WAY TOO FAST for that car. I was yelling at my friend to slow the F down, as it felt like the car was going to fly off the road at any second.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

If you want to go fast, please do all of us responsible people a big favor andmeet us on the race track. We'll show you what fast really is.

Nothing bothers me more than a "challenger" at a stop light. I have no intention of walking anywhere and enjoy the privelege.... notthe right....of my drivers license.

Dave
Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

bitch bitch bitch. jesus yall did that **** when you were kids too, calm down. ive pegged the 65s needle at 120 and it was scary as **** felt like the front end was about to lift off the ground. done 163 in the 07 (speedo goes to 140, the GPS goes to 999) and it felt solid as a rock, i even took a slight turn or two at 140-150ish) never done it with a passenger though cuz if i kill myself thats one thing, but killin a passenger who has no control is another. i also track my cars, but its different on the street.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: davesanborn

If you want to go fast, please do all of us responsible people a big favor andmeet us on the race track. We'll show you what fast really is.

Nothing bothers me more than a "challenger" at a stop light. I have no intention of walking anywhere and enjoy the privelege.... notthe right....of my drivers license.

Dave
First off, I agree with you that driving fast on the streets is an irresponsible action...it is stupid and should not be done. However, I wasn't always as smart as I am today. As for the stories I told they all happened 20 - 30 years ago, and I don't advocate even the most "innocent" of "Street Light to Street Light" races at my current age.

As for your sanctimonious response, lighten up....the guy just asked a question, wanting to hear some stories....he didn't challenge you to a street race, and certainly didn't do anything to jeopardize your privilege to drive. Are you trying to tell everyone on this forum that you've never done anythingstupid on the street that could have possibly been dangerous? If you haven't and if it is true, then I salute you. You managed to survive the hormone filled days of youth without making a mistake. I wish I had been as smart and mature as you.

Quick Reply: how fast have you gone?