Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anti-Theft ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Default Anti-Theft ideas?

Hey guys, what are the best ways to protect your classic stangs against theft? I know a guy who had his Monte Carlo stolen out of his drivway and when they found it two and a half hours later it was striped of engine, tranny drive shaft and the old speed juice bottles.... it was an low twelve second car and the guys doing it obviously knew the car... My concern now is that although my 72 stang is no where near the level of completion his car was i dont want to lose it... or my 72 charger either which is more worth stripping... Anyways being 19 and in school i dont have much else to call my own so what are the best practical ways to protect my cars??? i dont have a garage and the stang is my daily driver... any help please im losing sleep over it literally, lol... i took the time to pull the center plug in the distributer out and its laying beside me here in my room but realisticly is there any good way to stop a determined theif??? or at least an amature one? and of course, thanks guys MF rocks..
Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 PM
ky
America ftw

Default RE: Anti-Theft ideas?

get 2 battery disconnect swiches. hide them under the dash. and i know they can look gross, but locking hoodpins. i hated them before, but when my dad bought his 66, it had them on and they have come in handy. he went to a baseball game and popped the coil wire off, then locked the hood, then locked the doors. and everynight we unplug the coil wire.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Yea thanks for the input true66gt... i have the 71-73 mach 1 hood on my stang and those look pretty good with hood pins although im not crazy about putting more holes then there have to be in the stang, lol but i cant think of anything much better then removing the coil wire and that wont do much to stop anyone from rolling it.... are alarms even worth the hastle to put in?? i am thinking about buying one for the peice of mind but at the same time i dont know much about them... are there any decent ones that are pretty low priced??
Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 AM
kaiser18
1st Gear Member

A rather effective and cheap way to protect your car is to install a small brass butterfly valve somewhere along your fuelline from your tank to the engine. Turn it 90 degrees so it cuts off the fuel flow when your parking. If someone does steal it they wont beable to drive it more then a few blocks.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:30 AM
spdrcer34
1st Gear Member

I had a friend get his Hurst/Olds stolen a couple years back....No alarm, no kill switch.

When it was recovered at the mall 2 WEEKS LATER....it had a top of the line Compustar Alarm installed....and the reciept for the install in the glove box totalled $800 for everything...

The car was returned back to the owner, WITH the remote!

The guythat ended up buying the stolen car was 'paged'back to the car, because it was being towed by the city as a theft recovery...He was obviously VERY upset that he ended up buying a stolen car, and the possibility of going to jail over it....but after the police were able to find the person he bought it from, he wasn't AS mad...but he did give the keys, and alarm remote to the police to give it back to the original owner.

A common low buck anti-theft device on the G-body is wiring the ignition in such a way that requires you totouch a screwwhile cranking the motor over. If you aren't touching the screw, it won't turn over...

Ryan
Old 08-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

On both of my dads Vettes he just had Pedal and Wheel Locks. Not sure if thats what they are called, but with the wheel lock, it would take someone a long time to break it. Plus its not that big of an issue because his bedroom is right over the garage and there is a garage door and 2 full size cars blocking the exit.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:42 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The old redneck trick is a chain and pad lock chain up the hood latch so it can't be opened.There is many ways cheapest is take the coil wire with you.But lets be real nothing stops a ****** truck one of those your car is gone in under 20 sec get the best insurance you can afford or sleep in it with a shotgun.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

or just get a warrior hamster

Old 08-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Celtic37
3rd Gear Member

how gay, i had a picture to make it funnier but it didnt show it
Old 08-02-2008, 06:07 AM
GinaX

I hope you're not talking about those steering wheel locks. They can be defeated in 5 minutes.A little bit of a joke, it can help but not muchjust by itself. I had a car stolen with one of those. That is when I learned about steering column locks. They are expensive but can effectively prevent breakage of the ignition switch. The brake pedal locks also seem to bechallenging.I use it every day. Just make sure it doesn't activate your braking lights when in use, or your battery will run down. My approach is to do a combination of things to slow down would-be thieves as much as possible. Even the simplest thing like parking your car in way that it can only initially be towed from the back, and then turning your front wheels all of the way soit can't be pulled straight, can contributeto slowing down the operation if someone attempted totake your car with a truck. The more time it takes the more risky it becomes, the less likely someone will try.

1972 Mustang Fastback
351 Cleveland 4-V
Holley 750CFM Double Pumper
Hooker Headers
C6 Auto

2006 Mustang (5 Speed V6 Premium)
(14.6 sec. 1/4 mi.)
GT take-off dual exhaust w/ Custom H-pipe
Mac Headers
JLT CAI
SCT Xcal2 93 Octane tune
JBA spark plug wires