Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Quirks

ORIGINAL: angelsmith00

I'm a 17year old chick who jsut got into cars a few years ago, and knows very little about how to fix her old mustang.
The "chick" part shouldn't even enter the equasion! I guarantee that you're just as capable as anyone else at learning automotive maintenance and simple repairs. A word to the wise: buy a shop manual for your year Mustang. Nearly every large parts vendor carries them. They're usually around $40, but are indispensable with these old cars. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan66

Turn indicator: Most likely a worn blinker cam. Not as quick of a fix as the other things, but still very do-able.

I checked my blinker fluid and it was a quart low. Think that may be it?

[&:]
Old 05-14-2005, 02:33 AM
angelsmith00
1st Gear Member

Ooh... please tell me there's no such thing as blinker fluid... I'm so damn gullible.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Ooh... please tell me there's no such thing as blinker fluid... I'm so damn gullible.
Of course there is angel.....it's on page 36 of the shop manual. Also, be sure to check the heat sensor on the muffler. They sometines go bad.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

...be sure to check the heat sensor on the muffler. They sometines go bad.
But not as often as those darned muffler bearings... I've replaced mine twice so far this year alone!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:49 PM
angelsmith00
1st Gear Member

OOh and I gotta go get spark plugs for my dad's diesel soon too.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Make sure they area Autolite B45's. Those Champions are for Chebbies only, ya know.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:33 AM
angelsmith00
1st Gear Member

hah, i'm so lame. someone teach me how to tune a carborateor. please? paying $60 for a shop to turn a couple of things every six months is dumb.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OK, take the carburetor off, take it to an auto supply parts place, and say......I want a rebuilt carb just like this one. Give them the old carb to avoid having to pay a core charge, and put the newly rebuilt carb on your engine. That's the easy way.
But, if you really want to learn how to rebuild carburetors, order a kit for your specific carb. Read the directions that come with the rebuild kit, and see what you come up with in the end. The float adjustment for the needle and seat is the most difficult part. You get to get your hands real dirty, and grease/oil/carb cleaner under your fingernails. The best item you will need is a parts cleaner sink. It has a pump that puts the cleaner out of a nozzel for your to get the parts really clean with a brush. If you can't afford that, then refer to step one. Or you could do it like most of us shade tree mechanics do it. Fill a bucket about 1/3 full of carb cleaner and put all the parts in it. Let them sit and soak for several hours, then use a stiff brush to get all the crud off. After you have the carb reassembled, adjust your air mixture screws to about 1 1/2 turns out. Start the engine and turn those screws until you get optimum smooth engine at idle. The more you turn the idle mixture screws in, the richer the mixture.....the more you turn them out, the more air is introduced so it will run leaner.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:20 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Sounds like you guys have projects that need attention.
... how do you get the inside panel of the door off on a '68? I assume you take off the armrest, and window crank... which I know how to do, but how much more is there to it? is there more to it?
I'd just like to say that you should also get a subscription to mustang monthly for only $20 a year. It is full of stuff that's extremely helpful, as well as their website www.mustangmonthly.com. They have all kinds of projects documented very well that deal with interior, exterior, suspension, drivetrain, etc. I'd also reccomend calling National Parts Depot, Texas Mustang, Mustangs Plus, and other places and getting a catalog. Those are free and they let you know what's available for your car, especially if you can't get it from the lackeys at the parts stores.

Quick Reply: Quirks