Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

gas leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:12 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default gas leak?

ever since i got the engine running, their seems to be a strong smell of gasoline. I thought maybe it was leaking but there doesnt seem to be any wet spots on the ground anywhere near the car, or any that i can see by the engine. The smell is going from the garage into the rest of the house at this point so my mom's getting pretty upset. Once i get the coolant hoses fixed i'll move it to the backyard but I still would like to now where the smell is coming from in case it could cause some problems. Any ideas?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: gas leak?

Check next to your carb. It could be leaking from around the fuel filter and catching in the recesses of your intake manifold. If you're not finding any real drips anywhere, then perhaps it's not a fuel leak at all. It could be a too rich mixture on your carb. Makes an awfully strong smell and burns the eyes.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:38 AM
1MeanMach
1st Gear Member

I may be wrong, but I think gas evaporates pretty quickly. I could be a small enough leak that its dripping out, but not accumulating on the floor. Put a piece of cardboard underneath the fuel tank and leave it for a few hours. The gas should be easier to see on the cardboard. If it doesnt show up under the tank, try it under the engine. Should give you a better idea of where/how much it's leaking, if any at all.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:40 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1MeanMach

I may be wrong, but I think gas evaporates pretty quickly. I could be a small enough leak that its dripping out, but not accumulating on the floor. Put a piece of cardboard underneath the fuel tank and leave it for a few hours. The gas should be easier to see on the cardboard. If it doesnt show up under the tank, try it under the engine. Should give you a better idea of where/how much it's leaking, if any at all.
I would also check the filler hose from the outside of the car to the tank in the trunk, They have a tendency to leak also.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

And crawl under the car to see if there are any leaks in the fuel line. Also, check to make sure the gasket on the gas cap is still sealing.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:34 AM
falcongt

Often if ur running too rich you get petrol smell. Your not a millionaire are ya?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: falcongt

Often if ur running too rich you get petrol smell. Your not a millionaire are ya?
Have you ever heard of a millionaire named billybobjoe? I think not... [&:]
Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Bobzmcishl

Unhappy

Today, my wife noticed a gasoline smell coming into the house. We traced it to my 66 Mustang which was leaking gasoline from the tank through the gas cap. When I took of the gas cap, about a cup of gasoline spilled out. I wiped it all down and put the gas cap back on. I came back a few minutes later and took the gas cap off and another cup spilled out. I filled the car up last Saturday and then drove it two miles back home and it has been sitting in the car port ever since. Last weekend was cool weather and today was hot. Could there be an expansion problem. I took the car out for a drive and ran off about a gallon of gas and will check to see if there continues to be a problem. Could I also have a bad gas cap? There are no leaks anywhere else. This has never happened before.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Dartanian

My gas tank is leaking at the seam of the upper/lower tank, facing the rear of my car. That part of the tank has an indention in it, as if something had been run over or scraped (I do have a teenage driver).

I was wondering how safe it is to drive (my son has not driven the car since) and secondly how simple it is to fix it?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

replacement is a new tank..figure about 100$ plus a few bucks for some seam sealer to go on the body to tank flange

Quick Reply: gas leak?