Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I am staying here in Classic Mustangs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:29 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
How old are you if you're still in school? Because that's one hell of a mustang you have right there, and even more impressive if you're my age (21).
I'm 18, freshman in college. I got my car when I was 15 and a half when it was a pile of crap and restored it with the help of my father. However, most of the restoration was all my work once I learned.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
I'm 18, freshman in college. I got my car when I was 15 and a half when it was a pile of crap and restored it with the help of my father. However, most of the restoration was all my work once I learned.
I wish I had that opportunity. I bought my first mustang (the 88GT) a year ago, and I've slowly been working on it restoring it. This car SHOULD have been junked, but it's come a long way. Unfortunately, I've had to teach myself everything on how all these things work through hours upon hours of research, and even that doesn't go far when the real learning comes from hands-on experience.

I live in a well-to-do neighborhood, and they don't take kindly to project cars that sit in even the driveway. I originally thought about getting a 69 (I like 70 better though) Mustang, but as much as I like them I can't really see myself driving one. Not because I don't want to, but because it's something very new to me considering it's not like I was brought up around those cars.

I expect I won't get much huge progress learning until I finish school within the next year or so. It's unfortunate, but my parents are heavily not supportive of my hobby, and that's probably the last thing I have ever wanted to hear considering I've wanted to really learn this stuff, and I actually have a drive to do something for once.

+ they said I could take classes for automotive, but I never 'want' to learn very much when someone is forcing me to. Doesn't work well with me, and I definitely do not want to turn building cars into earning a grade when I can't even use it for my degree anyways.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Welcome back to the classic section
Old 10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I wish I had that opportunity. I bought my first mustang (the 88GT) a year ago, and I've slowly been working on it restoring it. This car SHOULD have been junked, but it's come a long way. Unfortunately, I've had to teach myself everything on how all these things work through hours upon hours of research, and even that doesn't go far when the real learning comes from hands-on experience.

I live in a well-to-do neighborhood, and they don't take kindly to project cars that sit in even the driveway. I originally thought about getting a 69 (I like 70 better though) Mustang, but as much as I like them I can't really see myself driving one. Not because I don't want to, but because it's something very new to me considering it's not like I was brought up around those cars.

I expect I won't get much huge progress learning until I finish school within the next year or so. It's unfortunate, but my parents are heavily not supportive of my hobby, and that's probably the last thing I have ever wanted to hear considering I've wanted to really learn this stuff, and I actually have a drive to do something for once.

+ they said I could take classes for automotive, but I never 'want' to learn very much when someone is forcing me to. Doesn't work well with me, and I definitely do not want to turn building cars into earning a grade when I can't even use it for my degree anyways.
Yeah its been great having both of my parents back with my car, my dad fronting most of the support and money lol. I'm definitely very grateful... Sorry to hear that your parents aren't so supportive, but don't let that stop you. It'll all be worth the hard learning and all that once you get to drive what YOU built, thats the most rewarding thing for me. People ask me "where did you get your car?" I say I bought it in _____ but it was a pile of junk and I restored it myself. I barely knew how to turn a wrench before this car, but from it I've pulled the engine stripped the whole body, panels and all, restored the interior all by myself, and reassembled.

I hear you on not wanting to take automotive classes I wouldn't either. The only thing I want to take is a welding class, so that I can make metal repairs myself instead of paying and arm and a leg for a body shop to do it, which was the only downfall to my car (turned out to have a lot of rust). Hopefully that class will count for some elective credits whenever I do take it. People tell me that I should be an engineer, or work on cars for a living but I tell them eh no thanks I don't want to ruin my passion. A hobby is one thing, but making that hobby into a job will ruin it for me...
Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Yeah its been great having both of my parents back with my car, my dad fronting most of the support and money lol. I'm definitely very grateful... Sorry to hear that your parents aren't so supportive, but don't let that stop you. It'll all be worth the hard learning and all that once you get to drive what YOU built, thats the most rewarding thing for me. People ask me "where did you get your car?" I say I bought it in _____ but it was a pile of junk and I restored it myself. I barely knew how to turn a wrench before this car, but from it I've pulled the engine stripped the whole body, panels and all, restored the interior all by myself, and reassembled.

I hear you on not wanting to take automotive classes I wouldn't either. The only thing I want to take is a welding class, so that I can make metal repairs myself instead of paying and arm and a leg for a body shop to do it, which was the only downfall to my car (turned out to have a lot of rust). Hopefully that class will count for some elective credits whenever I do take it. People tell me that I should be an engineer, or work on cars for a living but I tell them eh no thanks I don't want to ruin my passion. A hobby is one thing, but making that hobby into a job will ruin it for me...

Wow, that's really too bad you don't live closer because I'd teach you otherwise. I took two years of welding in highschool and was the best in the class using TIG/MIG, and brazing out of the group of us (but that really doesn't say much, because there were surprisingly ALOT of talented people in that class.) If you do anything that requires a steady hand (artwork is what helped me) then you can make anything welded look like it came from the factory.
The whole purpose I bought the mustang was because I've always loved how Ford was distinctively different, and I wanted to try something new since I am a big chevy person and all of my friends (with the exception of me, as I love Ford and Chevy) are diehard fanatical about it. They would give me hell about it, say the car is a 5slow, rotbox, rustang, yadda yadda...

That's when I started buying upgrades, and I haven't let it on the street the whole time I've had it except once, but I am thinking they are going to be blown away by what a little fox can put out if you give it the right parts. I had a TON of negative feedback towards my car, and that only made me want to revive this car back to it's original condition - if not better. Everyone around me said I couldn't do it, and I'm actually almost done. I just need to get the body prepped and painted and that's it.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Wow, that's really too bad you don't live closer because I'd teach you otherwise. I took two years of welding in highschool and was the best in the class using TIG/MIG, and brazing out of the group of us (but that really doesn't say much, because there were surprisingly ALOT of talented people in that class.) If you do anything that requires a steady hand (artwork is what helped me) then you can make anything welded look like it came from the factory.
The whole purpose I bought the mustang was because I've always loved how Ford was distinctively different, and I wanted to try something new since I am a big chevy person and all of my friends (with the exception of me, as I love Ford and Chevy) are diehard fanatical about it. They would give me hell about it, say the car is a 5slow, rotbox, rustang, yadda yadda...

That's when I started buying upgrades, and I haven't let it on the street the whole time I've had it except once, but I am thinking they are going to be blown away by what a little fox can put out if you give it the right parts. I had a TON of negative feedback towards my car, and that only made me want to revive this car back to it's original condition - if not better. Everyone around me said I couldn't do it, and I'm actually almost done. I just need to get the body prepped and painted and that's it.
I wish my high school had welding, they didn't have crap (math and science school). I'm good with tools and my hands so I think I would be pretty good at it.

My only friend that is into cars is into BMW's because he got handed down a 89 I think, and tricked it out. But I got him into mustangs now and he kinda likes foxbodys and stuff and I'm even tempted to get one as a DD. So luckily I haven't had much hate from chevy people or anything like that, mostly just from euro people haha
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

I wish my high school had welding, they didn't have crap (math and science school). I'm good with tools and my hands so I think I would be pretty good at it.

My only friend that is into cars is into BMW's because he got handed down a 89 I think, and tricked it out. But I got him into mustangs now and he kinda likes foxbodys and stuff and I'm even tempted to get one as a DD. So luckily I haven't had much hate from chevy people or anything like that, mostly just from euro people haha
You have NO idea how many people I've 'converted' ... From their end though, they got into rice (and yeah, serious rice.. LED's, Neons, fart cans, /gag) .. that took a LONG time to get it through their heads that a grocery getter honda is not fast. Haha. They all started out with their project piece of crap ricers, and then noticed how quickly it took for me to get all my parts because they're alot cheaper so they decided to see what all the fuss was about..

paid off for those of them that actually paid attention to what I was saying. /facepalm

- and just to clarify, I like all cars.. just not Eurotrash'd cars, or Rice piles.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
JamesW

Interesting thread. I've been modding this site for over a year and really try to give you guys plenty of flexibility. Classic used to be pretty hard core about only allowing only classic/tech threads.

If you have some specific ideas for improvement, please send me a PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

You have NO idea how many people I've 'converted' ... From their end though, they got into rice (and yeah, serious rice.. LED's, Neons, fart cans, /gag) .. that took a LONG time to get it through their heads that a grocery getter honda is not fast. Haha. They all started out with their project piece of crap ricers, and then noticed how quickly it took for me to get all my parts because they're alot cheaper so they decided to see what all the fuss was about..

paid off for those of them that actually paid attention to what I was saying. /facepalm

- and just to clarify, I like all cars.. just not Eurotrash'd cars, or Rice piles.
haha very nice. Luckily I haven't had to deal with people I know being ricers, I'm fine with anyones car no matter the make, just as long as what they do is tasteful and has a purpose. A rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car does not equal tasteful and serves no purpose. Same for a fart can, no purpose at all except to be annoying.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 AM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
what you got under the hood of the 73? I bet that beast can fit one hell of a motor

1973 Mustang Sportroof

357 Cleveland 2V rebuilt July 2007.
Carter AFB 625
Edelbrock Performer intake
Comp springs
ARP bolts
Keith Black 10.5:1 pistons
Comp double roller timing chain and gears
Mallory Unilite dist
Headers unknown make ( on it when I bought it )

C6 rebuilt July 2007

9" trac loc 3.89:1 Yukon gears installed July 2007

I am thinking of upgrading my intake to an Air Gap, and I need to recurve my dist advance.

It is a lot of fun. Gets a lot of attention.

I also have a '73 Q code Mach I that I am working on.

'73 Mach I H code that I bought for parts. I am not sure what to do with this one, because it does have a lot of rust, but it is all original and I have been driving it around my nieghborhood this summer.

Quick Reply: I am staying here in Classic Mustangs.