Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can I do my upper control arms myself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Can I do my upper control arms myself?

I have the classic Mustang squeak. Almost certainly it is the upper control arms. Is that something I can do myself? I've never done any steering or suspension work. I can change a carb, do exhaust stuff, replace a coil and such...but I don't want to get into something over my head. Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 PM
68 Coupe
1st Gear Member

My (limited) understanding is that you need a spring compressor to squeeze the coilsprings down, then the rest is pretty easy. I have to do the same thing, cause my spring perches are tired, and I figure if I am tearing it down anyway I might as well do upper A arm bushings, ball joints, etc. I asked my friend who has done a bazillion Mustangs what specialy tools I needed in order to "freshen" up the steering and suspension and he said the spring compressor (which he is letting me borrow) is the only tool I don't already have in my toolbox.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

There isn't much to it really. The spring compressor is the only specialty tool I think. Make sure you have someone else around while doing this... just in case. It can easily cause an injury if not done correctly or safely. Just take your time with it and you should be fine.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:03 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

are you wanting to rebuild the old ones? unless your going concours id just replace the entire arm
Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 PM
65Coupester
2nd Gear Member

You will also have to have a ball joint spreader(pickle fork/big *** hammer) or a specialty tool to separate the upper ball joint from the spindle.
If the ball joint is original, might as well replace it, you will have to drill/chisel the rivets out to replace it.
If the upper control arm bushing nut is rusted on it will be a whole ordeal to get that off. And the threads might be toast anyway. Been there,done that.
Overall it is just as cheap and a lot easier to replace the whole upper arm if you don't have the experience and tools.
Keep track of the shim stacks and replace them exactly as they were.
Check/replace the spring saddle while your at it.
Clean up and paint, while your at it.
Check front brake hose and LCA, strut rod bushings, other suspension parts, while your at it.
Of course it will likely need alignment after you do the work.
Its not rocket science but is a bit of work.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by 65Coupester
You will also have to have a ball joint spreader(pickle fork/big *** hammer) or a specialty tool to separate the upper ball joint from the spindle.
all you need is the hammer in fact you dont want to use the pickle fork if you want to reuse the boot
Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Front springs can be mankillers! It is a pretty straight forward process as others said above, but get the correct spring compressor. There are other semi-safe ways to remove the spring (ways your friends will swear are safe), but it is the only way to get the spring reinstalled. As long as it is apart, I would rebuild the entire front end.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:43 AM
67ragtop
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried installing grease fittings? I had the "sqeek" on my '67 about 14 years ago. I was told Ford was doing this back in the day, so I installed 90 degree angle fittings, greased 'em and it hasn't sqeeked since.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

I hate my upper A arm squeek.

Someone told me once that there is a grease gun extension that had a fitting just to lube upper arm bushings. This has become a dream of mine.

CP
Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

For the power steering ram my dad had to heat up the hole and then we hit it about as hard as we could with the biggest hammer on the stud. I didn't matter if we damaged it because it was already broken, had a new one ready. After heating the steering park where goes into and hammering like crazy it eventually came off, I could imagine having to do the same thing with the A-arms and all those joints. If it doesn't just come off with a few wacks try heating up one of the parts with a torch to get it to expand.

Quick Reply: Can I do my upper control arms myself?