Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Update on '66 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:22 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Default Update on '66 Restoration

Happy New Year to all!

I wanted to provide an update on my '66 Coupe.

I am starting with the suspension, brakes and drivetrain.

I have been in touch with OpenTracker (thanks to all for that hook up) and about to order all new roller suspension in the front along with the Shelby drop and ordering new rear leafs and shocks.

At the same time I am installing power disc brakes on the front and rebuilding the drums in the rear. I must say I keep going back and forth on whether to keep the brakes manual or go power....argh another decision to make. Preferences out there after doing the disc brake swap?

Lastly - after MUCH consideration I have decided to do a 5.0 EFI swap of my 289. I found a great mechanic that owns his own shop. He has a 1995 Mustang Cobra 5.0 EFI with a 130,000 miles on it so I am having the whole motor rebuilt and blueprinted. I believe that the late model motor will provide better fuel economy and reliability. I was torn between keeping it nostalgic or going with this 'upgrade swap'. I'm pretty excited about this. I am trying to do all the research I can to prepare for the required modifications, such as wiring, exhaust, etc.

I was also told that I need to run an AOD versus my C4. Just something else I didn't plan for but makes sense.

More to come!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM
JamesW

Check out my website below for a few ideas on the swap.

jw